Discuss Explaining RCBO's, SPD's, AFDD's etc to customers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening..

Just wondering if anyone has any links to an explanation of the above that a customer could understand, I'm getting a bit peed off trying to explain the benefits only to get a look back as if to say 'why is this salesman trying to rip me off'?

Cheers

Evening..

Just wondering if anyone has any links to an explanation of the above that a customer could understand, I'm getting a bit peed off trying to explain the benefits only to get a look back as if to say 'why is this salesman trying to rip me off'?

Cheers
Give The Customer ALL the information along with your quote, minus the items you mentioned, let them read all the guff, ask them if they have any reservations etc, if they have the relevant info and don't ask any questions, unlikely I know, but you will have furnished ALL the info, down to Mr and Mrs Customer, you could ask them if they have read and understood all the info. in writing. just saying.

As Pete999 said, give them info to read (or links to it). Some useful resources are:
They may not be the best guides, but they are sort-of independent of any one manufacturer, and more importantly they are not "you" pushing for a sale. However, hardly anyone will read them, or understand them, so sometimes you need to provide a short recommendation of what you think is best (obviously that is real in light of available guidance).

For example, if I were writing to myself on my own CU it would be something like:
  • I recommend the fitting of a Surge Protection Device (SPD) as the 18th edition of the wiring regulations recommends this for most cases, except when a risk assessment suggests the cost of the SPD outweighs the probable cost of damage. Most households have a lot of electronic equipment and so the modest cost of the proposed 'Type 2' SPD is less than the effort of properly assessing the risk.
  • I would recommend the use of an all-RCBO board over a dual RCD board as there is a small total number of circuits so the slightly higher cost is outweighed by the reduced the impact of any nuisance trips or futures fault (as well as reducing the cost and time to locate any that do arise).
  • I would not recommend AFDD in this case as the property is not in the high-risk category and the high cost of AFDD at this time is difficult to justify. Other steps to reduce the risk or impact of fire, such as a full linked fire alarm and/or some extinguishers would bring greater benefit.
Of course, that would vary depending on what you are looking at doing!

I personally don’t even bother With explanations , I price for what is needed and that is a full rcbo board with spd

if they like the price good , if not then that’s fine also

I have yet to push arc fault circuit breakers as to be honest they are a crock of sh**

I personally don’t even bother With explanations , I price for what is needed and that is a full rcbo board with spd

if they like the price good , if not then that’s fine also

I have yet to push arc fault circuit breakers as to be honest they are a crock of sh**

I often work with clients where £100 or so extra makes a difference, but on the most recent job I quoted I found such a good deal on an Fusebox SPD board that it was less than £25 difference to include it. Not the case when I priced a Wylex one on a previous job though (skeleton board so limited on make).

Hopefully we will get to a point where they will become standard install and the price will drop accordingly...

The reviews and tests I've seen on Youtube from David Savery, JW and others have yet to convince me that AFDDs are going to be anything other than a PITA for everyone involved - so I'm glad they are currently priced way out of reach for any install I'm likely to do.
[automerge]1599690916[/automerge]
It really is about time the National Bodies starting supporting the people paying for their schemes and produced decent documentation that we could give to clients.

Electrical Safety First do a simple language page on RCDs that could be linked to in emails, though given that in domestic it's more or less required now anyway that's less useful. I do use their earthing and bonding one fairly often though.

Last edited:
As Pete999 said, give them info to read (or links to it). Some useful resources are:
They may not be the best guides, but they are sort-of independent of any one manufacturer, and more importantly they are not "you" pushing for a sale. However, hardly anyone will read them, or understand them, so sometimes you need to provide a short recommendation of what you think is best (obviously that is real in light of available guidance).

For example, if I were writing to myself on my own CU it would be something like:
  • I recommend the fitting of a Surge Protection Device (SPD) as the 18th edition of the wiring regulations recommends this for most cases, except when a risk assessment suggests the cost of the SPD outweighs the probable cost of damage. Most households have a lot of electronic equipment and so the modest cost of the proposed 'Type 2' SPD is less than the effort of properly assessing the risk.
  • I would recommend the use of an all-RCBO board over a dual RCD board as there is a small total number of circuits so the slightly higher cost is outweighed by the reduced the impact of any nuisance trips or futures fault (as well as reducing the cost and time to locate any that do arise).
  • I would not recommend AFDD in this case as the property is not in the high-risk category and the high cost of AFDD at this time is difficult to justify. Other steps to reduce the risk or impact of fire, such as a full linked fire alarm and/or some extinguishers would bring greater benefit.
Of course, that would vary depending on what you are looking at doing!
Thanks for this..!!

Reply to Explaining RCBO's, SPD's, AFDD's etc to customers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net