Discuss Extractor Fan that dosn't fully shut down! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Abbs

Hi All,

Hope you guys are all well.

I have an annoying issue were my extractor fan as pictured below dosn't fully shut down when switch is flicked to the off position.

Its a Kitchen Ceiling extractor fan and I am a DIY'er.

I understand that the fan is running on a slow speed until the switch is pressed to "on" then it runs on some sort of boost mode.

My question is - does anyone know how I can wire this fan so that when i turn it off (from the switch) it actually shuts down fully. Currently the only way i can get this to happen is by flicking off all lighting for that floor from the fuse box (this I do every night otherwise the fan can be heard in the room above)?

I have attached a picture of the switch wiring which looks a little strange to me!

Any help/ideas would be most helpful please :)

Hi Abbs, welcome to the forum, as annoying as it may seem you need to ensure this isn't set up like this for a reason.

Is this a rental or your own home - its possible there may have been damp or mould issues in the past or humidity may be activating the fan especially this time of year its has humidity sensors, before we discuss solutions we need to confirm design and possible reasons for it to be running constant in slow.

Your pic hasn't appeared, this may be due to you still needing Mod approval on your posts, Ill leave a note with Admin' to assign DIY tag to your details so members can tailor their answers to suit your level.

Hi All,

Hope you guys are all well.

I have an annoying issue were my extractor fan as pictured below dosn't fully shut down when switch is flicked to the off position.

Its a Kitchen Ceiling extractor fan and I am a DIY'er.

I understand that the fan is running on a slow speed until the switch is pressed to "on" then it runs on some sort of boost mode.

My question is - does anyone know how I can wire this fan so that when i turn it off (from the switch) it actually shuts down fully. Currently the only way i can get this to happen is by flicking off all lighting for that floor from the fuse box (this I do every night otherwise the fan can be heard in the room above)?

I have attached a picture of the switch wiring which looks a little strange to me!

Any help/ideas would be most helpful please :)

Is the fan controlled by the lighting switch? could be the fan has an overrun facility buitlt in, ie to get rid of smells etc after the kitchen light has been switched off, a bit like the bathroom fan set up.

I fitted a fan recently that was part of a package for a company that carries out damp proofing etc , the walls below some of the kitchen units were damp with mould , the type of fan was designed to run at very low speeds and had a dual impeller so air could be brought in and out , there was also a controller that had a pullswitch for use as an extractor fan , I was sceptical wether this would cure the problem , but the client has reported good results , so as already said I would make sure that this fan is there for a reason ,,,,

As stated, it will be a trickle vent humidity unit that operates constantly at low speed to combat the build up of moisture inside a property. It will almost certainly have been fitted by design and not default.
They are usually quiet on the low speed though, hardly audible at all, even the larger centrifugal units I have seen.

View attachment 32848View attachment 32849
Hi All,

Thanks for all your replies i wasn't expecting so many so fast!

The house is 5 years old and we own it
The fan has behaved this way ever since we bought the house over a year ago. Hopefully pics are now showing.

We have 4 of these fans in the house (in WC, bathroom & ensuitr) all look identicle in appearance. The other three have isolation switches above the room doors so they can be fully shut down. Tbh they are noisey even when running in slow mode especially at night.

The fan in the kitchen which is the issue dosn't have any isolation switch nor do any lights seem to have an effect on it. Its been running for over a year on slow mode and always annoyed us a little bit but recently we have moved bedrooms so are now directly above the fan and it's really becoming a pain turning off all downstairs lighting every night.

Hope this makes things clearer.

Thanks again in advance guys.

your attachments come up as invalid.

Apologies. Should show now...

Attachments

• 20160731_162916.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 20160731_161342.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 33
It's the only switch i have for the fan not sure if it was a simple on and off type or isolation switch that was intended by the builders.

Is there anything obvious you can see that i could maybe correct with a bit of guidance?

My observations:

A lot of wires going into the L2 and N
No neutral wire connected at the bottom of the switch
Grey wire with blue sleeve

Reply to Extractor Fan that dosn't fully shut down! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net