Discuss FIA Training in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I am doing them separately, but it was just chance that 1 and 5 were back to back.

I would imagine it would be beneficial and kep your brain fresh to do it over three days, but you will probably feel slightly drained by the end.

Ill do mofule 4 and 11 over sep and oct, thn see how I feel about 2, 3 and 6.

Two of the people today came from Plymouth as the onpany they work for said they had to do it before the end of the year and this was the last available one I think, they couldn't get in at the Plymouth one.

Fantastic courses these are. Well worth the money and don't forget if your company are members of FIA, they get about ÂŁ100 off the fee i think!

I found when i did mine (was all fire alarm engineers in there) that a lot of them were very up their own arses. The sort that think they know it all and so didn't listen at all. They were the ones that failed. All i do on a daily basis is fire alarms. I did Units 1 and 5 quite late on in my career and even then i still learned a lot on these two courses and they are entry level courses!

After 25 plus years of designing....the regs and new ideas change all the time, and you have to keep up. Taking things for granted, can have major comebacks....prime example EN54-23 VAD, beware of disabled discrimination in public or commercial buildings

Agreed and its a shame no one really does an update course. Mind you, the last update to 5839 last July was only a few things anyway which could be condensed onto an update sheet just to bang into the back of your copy of the 2002 regs!
And yet theres still people out there who don't understand them. I had a customers risk assessor the other day argue with me because he's been in the game for 30 years and when i told him the 45 bedroom care home they want a new system in needs an addressable and ARC link, he was insistent a Haes surveyor would do the job and we were just trying to get some cash out of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
4 fire alarm engineers FAILED is the biggest eye opener in this whole topic!! Thats poor...

Forget to say well done on attending and completing buddy.

Like shanky said if they were adt lads it wouldn't surprise me most of them are useless, can't do containment, only know what they have been told off other "engineers", can't pull cables in to save themselves, have very limited technical knowledge and can't even mount their gear level

Agreed and its a shame no one really does an update course. Mind you, the last update to 5839 last July was only a few things anyway which could be condensed onto an update sheet just to bang into the back of your copy of the 2002 regs!
And yet theres still people out there who don't understand them. I had a customers risk assessor the other day argue with me because he's been in the game for 30 years and when i told him the 45 bedroom care home they want a new system in needs an addressable and ARC link, he was insistent a Haes surveyor would do the job and we were just trying to get some cash out of them.
Well addressable is now recommended, under 54, but if there in Surrey, they will get away with it. Essex, Kent are the most strict on regs

Well addressable is now recommended, under 54, but if there in Surrey, they will get away with it. Essex, Kent are the most strict on regs

This is in Tooting and i think the whole reason they are asking for a quote for upgrade is because the boys in the big red lorries really gave them a hard time over the state of the system. Its not that bad. Over recommended age by a few years but certainly not the worst I've seen so i wouldn't be surprised if their local FB are very strict!

Reply to FIA Training in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net