• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Fibreglass or Aluminium Stepladders? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Electron

-
Arms
Reaction score
I am about to invest in some new stepladders. I was thinking of getting Youngman fibreglass stepladders but have been told they are not as stable as aluminium. Also, are they really much safer for domestic electrical work? Aluminium stepladders have rubber insulated feet, which should give similar protection. What do you recommend?

I came off aluminium step ladders once and dislocated my shoulder. The only work injury I've ever had! Much prefer the fibreglass ones on a day to day basis as they're much more sturdy although they are heavier to carry about.

4 treads fibreglass will reach most things anything higher you’ll be looking for a different method. Fibreglass are sturdy.

If it’s the only set you’ll have in a van then 5 or 6 tread. I’ve got a 3 tread + top ‘step’ that is not to be used as a step or a seat or even looked at in a funny way - I use it as a step, a seat and I pull some funny faces to keep it happy!
I also in the van have some fibre glass little giants 4 steps that extend, open up and do all sorts of funny things. Point is that I’ve got a little van NV200 Nissan and both these go in. If I need anything longer my ‘wooden doubles’ go on the roof rack.

I think if you do a risk assessment and method statement you will find you must have fibre glass non conductive ladder for so many scenarios. Personally I always use youngman fibre glass. 4 tread with platform 6 tread and 12 tread all fibre glass.

Me I got some cheap 3 step ali ones from B&Q's. When they broke, I got some more. If its all domestic work, there's no manic site agent giving you grief, or the chance of marking Mrs Miggins Vienna marble floor tiles or her shag pile.

I bought a fibreglass platform step ladder recently in homebase as they were labelled wrong, got them for £63 instead of £90.
They had put wrong barcodes on the shelf and also the ladders. some were priced correct, so pot luck which you picked up. I only noticed as I was in there solely for them. so when I went through the till and got charged £63 i was well happy. went back next day to check the shelves.

Reply to Fibreglass or Aluminium Stepladders? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back