Discuss Fibreglass or Aluminium Stepladders? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I am about to invest in some new stepladders. I was thinking of getting Youngman fibreglass stepladders but have been told they are not as stable as aluminium. Also, are they really much safer for domestic electrical work? Aluminium stepladders have rubber insulated feet, which should give similar protection. What do you recommend?
I’ve had fibreglass steps for years now and they are solid feel better on them than I have on any aluminium steps I’ve ever had but they are heavy as hell

I’ve had fibreglass steps for years now and they are solid feel better on them than I have on any aluminium steps I’ve ever had but they are heavy as hell
Mine have been on the roof rack for a few years as well the plastic cap on the top has discoloured and the bolts that hold the spreaders have a light rust but they are still pretty much ok I do wash them with the van every week though

Worth mentioning as well... if you're not careful, it's much easier than you might expect to fracture the legs.

I was moving my steps a few feet when they were open, only to get one leg hooked on a door frame, I didn't realise and carried on going. Went off with a hell of a crack.

Worth mentioning as well... if you're not careful, it's much easier than you might expect to fracture the legs.

I was moving my steps a few feet when they were open, only to get one leg hooked on a door frame, I didn't realise and carried on going. Went off with a hell of a crack.
so you now have a long john silver ladder?

I think if you do a risk assessment and method statement you will find you must have fibre glass non conductive ladder for so many scenarios. Personally I always use youngman fibre glass. 4 tread with platform 6 tread and 12 tread all fibre glass.

Most risk assessments would assess out any risk of electric shock so having GRP steps is a non-starter.

When I asked the H&S bloke at the factory where I worked if we could get glass fibre steps because the walls of the factory are metal and there’s a lot of water about.
His response was that we should stand the steps on a rubber mat.

If it’s the only set you’ll have in a van then 5 or 6 tread. I’ve got a 3 tread + top ‘step’ that is not to be used as a step or a seat or even looked at in a funny way - I use it as a step, a seat and I pull some funny faces to keep it happy!
I also in the van have some fibre glass little giants 4 steps that extend, open up and do all sorts of funny things. Point is that I’ve got a little van NV200 Nissan and both these go in. If I need anything longer my ‘wooden doubles’ go on the roof rack.
I had to get on the top step of a 10 thread set a few weeks ago, it was squeaky bum time to say the least

maxresdefault.jpg

I sort of felt like this guy, fitting a led low bay

I had to get on the top step of a 10 thread set a few weeks ago, it was squeaky bum time to say the least

View attachment 45041

I sort of felt like this guy, fitting a led low bay
What a weird photo - why does he need to be on a step ladder when he’s in a stadium and everyone is looking down onto the ring - Oh, another unexplained phenomenon!

The FiberGlass ladders feel more sturdy but weigh more so I always go with aluminum. I have found that ladders too tall for a given room are just a pain. I use a 6 foot ladder for the ceilings are 7.5 and a 10 foot where ceilings are 12 or more. Read more on differences of fiberglass and alluminium on this website

Reply to Fibreglass or Aluminium Stepladders? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net