Discuss Fire Rated Downlights - FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'd go for C.
I agree with Des though - LED downlighters or GU10 LEDs are the way forward. From an electrician's point of view you don't get the problems with heat damage (the bane of my life atm) but it would be easier to sell to the client as reducing energy costs.
Either way if the downlighters are too close to the joists you can only put them in one way around due to the springs, which again can be a PITA.
Adjustable downighters are all good and well if they'll only ever be pointing in 'the right' direction.

Why does the client want them in the original positions? Is it down to preserving a pattern or for another reason?

I'd go for C.
I agree with Des though - LED downlighters or GU10 LEDs are the way forward. From an electrician's point of view you don't get the problems with heat damage (the bane of my life atm) but it would be easier to sell to the client as reducing energy costs.
Either way if the downlighters are too close to the joists you can only put them in one way around due to the springs, which again can be a PITA.
Adjustable downighters are all good and well if they'll only ever be pointing in 'the right' direction.

Why does the client want them in the original positions? Is it down to preserving a pattern or for another reason?

the JCC ones can be "rotated" within the housing so it will always be in the right place!

The answer to this is easy. If this job was being done for your mother, what would you prefer the electriciain to put on the invoice a,b or c. Option D would be for the electrician to reply in the email from the customer his concerns.

I haven't read the whole thread Murdoch but I would go for C. Hopefully the client is a reasonable person and once you've explained the situation and given the facts they may agree with you. If they don't then send invoice and leave it. It's very frustrating thinking that there are many people doing this kind of work, but once you have voiced your opinion you have done all you can and should feel comfortable with that, otherwise you'll be cross quite a lot of the time!

I can't imagine actually fitting halogen down lights now, they should be banned. Too costly to run, a fire hazard and LED's are so much better all round, it's not like they are that expensive these days.

I can't imagine actually fitting halogen down lights now, they should be banned. Too costly to run, a fire hazard and LED's are so much better all round, it's not like they are that expensive these days.

I agree, new installations should be LED now, perhaps we need the EU to introduce a ban on halogens for new installs.

Only yesterday, I was at a rental property sorting out half a dozen downlight faults in several rooms, 3 of them had burn-out plastic connection blocks and housings, in 2 cases I'd say it was lucky they'd not caught fire.

I agree, new installations should be LED now, perhaps we need the EU to introduce a ban on halogens for new installs.

Only yesterday, I was at a rental property sorting out half a dozen downlight faults in several rooms, 3 of them had burn-out plastic connection blocks and housings, in 2 cases I'd say it was lucky they'd not caught fire.
Be far better banning halogen down lights than plastic CU's. I wouldn't personally fit a halogen if asked now.

Reasonable provision to comply with part L would be to provide fixed energy efficient light fittings, at a ratio of three per four of all the light fittings on new builds so you wouldn't get away installing halogen down lights throughout each room they would have to be led or cfl.

I am at my sister in laws. Big 4 year old house - 31 down lights in the kitchen diner!. I have lost count of all the halogen lamps elsewhere.

How it passed the final inspection is beyond me

I am at my sister in laws. Big 4 year old house - 31 down lights in the kitchen diner!. I have lost count of all the halogen lamps elsewhere.

How it passed the final inspection is beyond me
makes me titter, everyone moans about the Leccy companies ripping us off but run 50w bulbs where they could run a 4.......

IMG_0255.jpgthis was a fire rated down light that caused this. the shell of a fire rated down light using a halogen light can exceed 100 degree, I have measured one at 135 degree's , a fire rated down lighter wont protect the beams ,just the integrity of the ceiling in the event of a fire

My brother has a kid's day nursery the previous owner had installed a number halogen downlights next to the ceiling beams the problem was found before it became a fire because the resin out of the wood started dripping from around some of the lights, when I investigated it some of the beams had quite significant charing. Having said that when I did a PIR on the place I asked for the previous cert and was given a very unconvincing to me 2 sided single page NICEIC fake that had been accepted by Ofsted and the other local authority inspection bods without comment makes you wonder how many other nurseries have the same issues

it's all OK now. the IET know of the problem and have now banned plastic CUs. apparently they are the only cause of house fires.

UPDATE: It gets better!

So the installed leaves for the "customer organised" plasterer to come in and skim the room - and when he returns he finds the plasterer has boarded the ceiling and plastered it. Anyones guess where the holes are.

I didn't make a map and neither did the installer!!

a wet-pants and a muck spreader involved with lighting.

another fine mess.

th (1).jpg

Reply to Fire Rated Downlights - FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net