Discuss Fire Rated Downlights - FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

So I was first fixing a bathroom yesterday and the plumber chap has drilled the holes in the ceiling - when I looked up one of the holes I could see that the hole cutter had "kissed" one joist and had just missed another (the house has had a loft conversion hence why the 2nd joist is so close to the original ones.

When I questioned fitting the light - he said its a "fire rated" downlight so "clearances" don't matter - in fact he's fitted loads and is never bothered about all in insulation covering them (bare in mind he likes CED £10.00 halogen 50w units!)

The box the lights come in didn't have any clearance information on it, but on reading the instructions in the box, it clearly states 75mm clearance all round.

So after a bit of humming and haring - it was agree that a new hole would be drilled in a "sensible" location and be big enough for a tilt unit & that I could supply & fit the lights. He takes lights back for a refund. All good I think......

The customer sees the new hole later and asks for it to be put back to the original position - so the numpty agrees. I get a text today telling me to go to site on Monday to fit a JB and extend the cable to the "original" location.

I say I won't make the change and if he wants to do it he's on his own!

Get a text back saying send invoice to client for work done so far he'll "get somebody else" to do it.

Now me knows he dabbles with electrics so I'm sure he'll do it himself.

Now now the dilema - the man of the house is away skiing for a few days and he emails me today asking how its going ..... so how do I respond???

A) Do I submit invoice and ignore it - its not tested formally as its only first fixed?

B) Do I submit invoice and add note on covering email about joists?

C) Do I submit invoice and note on invoice issue with proximity of joists?

I'm considering B) or C)!

Thoughts chaps

Just income or your time and in the email wrote exactly what you wrote above regarding the scenario. Job done, you advised what needed to be done as a qualified electrician and the plumber didn't agree so it's down to him!

Who's your client, the home owner or the plumber?

We are both billing directly, both of us have done work for him before. But this time the plumber gave me the nod about the job - then I went in and said he needed a new CU before I would touch the bathroom - which was all done and dusted about 10 days ago!

Have him to agree this and crack on,as you said the plumber will move them so get him to use gu10 leds and state on the certificate that the proximity to joists was explained and it is the intention of the client to relocate the fittings

We are both billing directly, both of us have done work for him before. But this time the plumber gave me the nod about the job - then I went in and said he needed a new CU before I would touch the bathroom - which was all done and dusted about 10 days ago!

Then the way that I see it is that you work for and have a duty of care to the home owner & the plumber has no say in it.
This is only my opinion but I would email the customer explaining that all is going well but it is not possible to locate the down lights in his preferred position due to the layout of joists. I'd make no reference at this stage of walking away from the job, suggest alternative positions and ask for the go ahead.
If the client insists (and I'm sure he wont) that you locate them where you are not happy then refuse, invoice for work completed and wish him luck.

Then knee the plumber in the balls on the way out.

Buy him a pint.
plumbers round my way just want to turn nuts and nothing else
never mind cutting out downlights holes for me(all be it in the wrong position in this case)

Well I wouldn't keep on questioning Clive myself, one of the best Sparks on the forum, I would answer his OP Question, my answer is C, that said B would also work.

Well I wouldn't keep on questioning Clive myself, one of the best Sparks on the forum, I would answer his OP Question, my answer is C, that said B would also work.

Thing is, when you work for yourself, often on your owm, sometimes you need to run things past others to get a check on what is best.

TBH if I don't work with this muppet again it won't be a problem!

Thanks guys

C with a covering e-mail . ( you can put all your concerns in e-mail and att a copy of mail with invoice) and let the plumber issue a cert. It's your rep on the line, not the plumbers, if it all goes t-ts up you are covered. you have stated on invoice + you have stated on e-mail. that's 2 warnings about going against manufacturers instructions (3 including the verbal ) get paid, put everything in a file and move on
. I am fortunate I work full time for a company, if I say it cannot be done the way they or the architects say they want it I always win and they have to have a rethink . If it goes against what you know is right, cover yourself at all costs. wish I could be of more help.

Reply to Fire Rated Downlights - FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net