Discuss Fireplace lighting in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a woodburning stove to go into a newly built fireplace in an old house. I have had a cable run provisionally fitted during construction and am considering a brick light to go behind the stove. Does anyone have any helpful ideas as to what type of fitting light I could use. My electrician has n't been told yet!!

Something heatproof i would have thought, including the type of cable feeding it but depends if it is in a location that will be affected by the heat as to how close to the stove or above it in the heat path.

The cable has to be special and has not been fitted yet, but I was looking at a small wall brick style light as in a popular selling internet site. [h=1]RECESSED WALL BRICK LIGHT OUTDOOR / INDOOR IP54[/h]

The large hole towards the top is for the flue pipe to go out to up the chimney, and the line on the back wall about 15" up is where the power will come in. I was rather hoping to have something flat mounting or brick type I could cut into the walling to illuminate from behind. I am not sure how hot this area would be.

get two spotlights and put in the corners pointing at an angle... if you get me

2nd, done this a few times

Run FP200 (or similar) to a standard metal spotlight and (for this time only:wink_smile:) leave the Halogen lamp in there, use ceramic terminal blocks for your connections

2nd, done this a few times

Run FP200 (or similar) to a standard metal spotlight and (for this time only:wink_smile:) leave the Halogen lamp in there, use ceramic terminal blocks for your connections

Glad this topic came up as my parents have a log burner and have asked me to put a light in it! And was concerned about heat!! I take it other lamp types don't take the heat too well ? Was thinking of an led cluster lamp ( thinking for different colour options)

You really want to look for a light that is manufactured as heat resistant or states suitable for high ambient temperature. They are mainly fluorescent for industrial areas, steel mills and so forth but there are some lights intended for use in saunas and hot rooms that maybe suitable, depending on the ambient temperature. I think you are looking at either 60oC or 125oC ratings.
I think LEDs would suffer as they work best at low temperatures; high ambient temps would reduce their working life.

Reply to Fireplace lighting in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net