Discuss First and second fix electrics in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi. I've had a kitchen extension done and the builder has charged for first and second fix electrics. He has since said that my consumer unit needs upgrading to add more RCBOs but this will cost me extra.
I would've thought this should be included, am I wrong?
He has also said that I will need to pay extra for certification, surely they should do this as standard? Any advice is welcome.

Both should have been included in the initial price.

Extras are just for unforeseen work, such as difficult routes or customer changes, and should be agreed beforehand.

Did the builder do the work, or a contracted electrician?

This is like saying all the sockets and lights are in but you now need to pay for connecting them to the consumer unit
What did the original quote include or was this not broken down in to the details, any electrical work has to be certified so it should have been included and is definitly not an extra

Both should have been included in the initial price.

Extras are just for unforeseen work, such as difficult routes or customer changes, and should be agreed beforehand.

Did the builder do the work, or a contracted electrician?
Thank you. Very helpful. The builder did the work. But this is not the first area where he has said items were not included in the quote.

Reactions: DPG
This is like saying all the sockets and lights are in but you now need to pay for connecting them to the consumer unit
What did the original quote include or was this not broken down in to the details, any electrical work has to be certified so it should have been included and is definitly not an extra
Thank you also for your reply. The quote simply said second and first fit electrics. It didn't expand on what that meant. Either way I was surprised that they didn't bother to inspect the consumer unit when they came out to price up (which they did 3 times)

Thank you also for your reply. The quote simply said second and first fit electrics. It didn't expand on what that meant. Either way I was surprised that they didn't bother to inspect the consumer unit when they came out to price up (which they did 3 times)

They probably didn't bother checking for adequate bonding etc either then.

Reply to First and second fix electrics in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net