Discuss FIT for 10KW 3 phase in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DanTheSparkyMan

just about to price my first 10KW 3 phase install and was wondering if the first 4Kw are at 43.3p and the remaining 6Kw at the lower rate or would the whole system be charged at lower rate? If as I suspect the whole job is at the lower rate then a 5Kw system would never be viable (for future reference)
Thanks in advance

Whole job at 37.8p/kWh , export deemed @ 50% @3.1p make sure the consumer consumes a balanced three phases else they'll lose out.

Hi you two, Is this system on one inverter and is that why the FIT rate is 37.8p? The reason I’m asking is I’ve also got a 3 phase job to price up and was told (on my Eco Skies course) that the way to get the maximum FIT rate (43.3p/kWh) on a 3 phase system is split it into 3 separate 4kW systems, so each system goes on its own G83. Is this allowed or have the rules changed?
Thanks in advance

Hi you two, Is this system on one inverter and is that why the FIT rate is 37.8p? The reason I’m asking is I’ve also got a 3 phase job to price up and was told (on my Eco Skies course) that the way to get the maximum FIT rate (43.3p/kWh) on a 3 phase system is split it into 3 separate 4kW systems, so each system goes on its own G83. Is this allowed or have the rules changed?
Thanks in advance

Are you sure they said that on the Eco Skies course?

They were right to say that splitting 3 seperate 16A systems accross three phases will satisfy G83 but I think you may have confused this with the FITs tariff. The FITs tariff is based on the size of the system on the property, regardless of how they are split accross phases.

A 10kW 3 phase inverter also satifies G83 and will be significantly cheaper than 3 single phase ones.

Splitting it into 3 will only attract x3 maximum FITs if they are separate installations. That definition is involved, but would almost certainly require separate address and/or ownership. It is worth reading the definitions at some stage.

Regards
Bruce

we have a 10KWp domestic coming up, the client has three phase but only uses two, the third being capped in henlys, can we fit an export meter on the third phase only so as to maximise their return?

But then you would not be measuring the export on the other 2 phases?????????????
Or if you made it single phase PV you would be preventing the customer using his own generation?????????
I hope I have misunderstood what you are suggesting

Maff, what inverter(s) are you planning to use?

- 2 x single phase
- 3 x single phase
- 1 x 3 phase

I think in each case you would need to install a 3 phase export meter (does a 3 phase meter still work correctly if only 2 phases are connected? I'm not sure). But you need detailed advice from the DNO.

Thanks Biggs, having checked this with other people (who took better notes!) apparently it must be spread across three seperate MPANs if the property is lucky enough to have threm.

sorry, its an SMA TRI Power 10000TL, it will be spread across the three phases, and the clients are retired so they wish to utilise their generation but as the third incoming phase isnt used by them then a third of the generation will bypass their CCU's and flow out to the grid. They have asked if there is any way that they can recoup any of this.

If they think they can utilise 7kW in the middle of a June day (what do they have - a pottery kiln?) then the 3kW going out the other phase isn't too relevant. They will be financially better off with no meter and 50% deeming.

If you do the sums I doubt the amount of money lost will be massive. But the answer is of course add another consumer unit and put some circuits on the unused phase.

Maff- In order to connect to THE 3 phases you will need a 3 phase board or 3 single phase boards with spare ways for your solar connection. so surely it wont be to much effort to give your customer some kind use of the 3rd phase? even if its just a double socket for a washing machine that they can put on when the sun is shining. by the way you will also have to have the meter changed to a 3 phase one if its not already

Dan has beat me to it already , has the property got a three phase meter or are they just using one on a 24hr meter and one on a off peak meter and the other is just capped with no meter ?
If this is the case it may be faster / cheaper just to apply for a G59/2 connection rather than trying to get the meter and cu swapped to take three phase .
Also if you are using one three phase inverter i would not split it over three different single phase Cu's .

(does a 3 phase meter still work correctly if only 2 phases are connected? I'm not sure)

Yes they do. Seen plenty around my way. 3 phase with only two phases being used. Quite common in my area for domestic properties with storage heaters and three phase incomer and agricultural applications.

I have a related question, we have a job coming up with a similar setup, 10,000TL but no 3phase DB on the site TP cutout is on exterior wall location.

Is there an IP rated small 3 phase DB i can feed into or one that will fit inside a service box? The PV is the only thing feeding into it. There is a 3 phase metering and a big old switchfuse to come out of. An IP rated Gen meter would also be handy...

Reply to FIT for 10KW 3 phase in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net