Discuss Fixing panels to a barn with a concrete fibre roof. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

solarman73

Hi Guy’s
We have a contract to fix 50kW of panels to a barn roof. Having problems finding a suitable fixing/ racking systems to use without having to build lots of support under the roof. Eaves to ridge is approximately 14meters with 9 Z shaped steel purlins spaced equidistant between eaves and the ridge. The main steel beams are spaced approximately 5-6 meters apart.

Any ideas would be grateful.
Inside Barn.jpg

I used the K2 system on one I did recently. that was into wooden joists but they also do coach bolts for steel which then have a rubber cup on them to seal the hole. seemed to work pretty well.

We did it by replacing the J bolts holding down the wavy roofs sheets with much longer stainless steel J bolts and then using Renusol brackets. New rubber seals etc and stainless nuts.
You will need a test report of structure, weight, calcs, etc etc etc , our cost over £500 but proved roof needed no additional structural work.
We managed to cut out the existing very rusty J bolts with angle grinders. Scaffold outside and tower inside.
Long walkboards on roof and NO broken or cracked concrete or absbestolux or whatever they are sheets . Result

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys

Thanks for the replies so far. They have been very useful.

The roof is not asbestos thankfully so we don't have any problems with drilling.

Reply to Fixing panels to a barn with a concrete fibre roof. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net