Discuss Flex for fixed wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

'13 amp Plug top' for me, too. There can be all sorts and types of plugs......including them what hold the water in me bath....

edit..^^beat me to it.
OK.....for sticking in your ears.

Not any more it isn’t, that terminology was changed many years ago.

Hasn't become wrong - it's been just shortened over the years, like photo, bus and phone. Nobody one day said 'right lads, it's not plug top any more'.

Because many refer to them wrongly does not make it right.

It is not wrong, although I agree it isn't used much these days. I suggest you read some old books on electrical engineering, installation, etc. It is the full name for a plug. It never meant the top cover of a plug!

A quick Google check shows that at least Farnell, Tool Station and Amazon still refer to them as plug top, amongst others.

Don't know why I'm banging on about it really, I wouldn't have said anything if you hadn't criticised someone for using correct terminology originally.

I fitted literally dozens of plug tops in the 1st year of my apprenticeship, all MK and they had 'Hospital Property' embossed on the cover in red, didn't stop one or two going missing over the years though.:)

Just fitted an MK plug top (complete with proper knurled screw terminal tops) to a 1970s ghetto blaster. Lovely quality. The plug and the radio!

It rings a bell. I've got a couple of old ones in the garage - I'll see what sort they are at the weekend. They're 1970s ones so could be.

Took out an old cooker hood on the way home today, the owner has bought a new fancier one in the sales and wants to sort out the tiling before I fit the new one. Not only was the hood [and chimney]tiled up to and grouted in but wired direct into a socket with 1mm 2 core flex- apparently done by a kitchen fitter....

It is not wrong, although I agree it isn't used much these days. I suggest you read some old books on electrical engineering, installation, etc. It is the full name for a plug. It never meant the top cover of a plug!

It WAS the full name for a plug because a socket WAS called a plug. We have moved on now and those old terms are no longer appropriate or correct.

Blimey, you feel very strongly about this don't you - so anyone who uses the word 'plugtop' is an idiot. Right, fair enough.

It is on top of a plug, many years ago sockets were called plugs, and what we now call plugs were called plug tops.
I think the terminology changed when bs1363 came along

I know that. That is why I wrote above:

"It WAS the full name for a plug because a socket WAS called a plug. We have moved on now and those old terms are no longer appropriate or correct."

People need to move into the 21st century.

Reply to Flex for fixed wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net