Discuss Flex for fixed wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I know that. That is why I wrote above:

"It WAS the full name for a plug because a socket WAS called a plug. We have moved on now and those old terms are no longer appropriate or correct."

People need to move into the 21st century.

You need to let go mate! It happens all the time.

Pyro/MICC
Hoover/vacuum cleaner
"lead" in pencils
Koala "bears"
"tin" foil

Went on a bit this post but in my opinion if someone has mounted a back box and socket front to a wall wired it in flex but has fitted a PLUG to the end of it this is just an extension lead as it can be disconnected by removing the plug rendering the socket dead.
The second one sounds like the OP may of meant wired into the back of a socket in which case this would be deemed dangerous as it is wired in 1.5mm flex acting as a spur but will have no means of isolation or protection in the event of a fault as it has been hardwired into the back of a socket which is part of the fixed wiring of the house and will more than likely be connected to a 32 amp cb rendering the 1.5mm flex unsuitable and the weakest link.
If that is the case it would be automatically disconnected and the owner would be told why.

Went on a bit this post but in my opinion if someone has mounted a back box and socket front to a wall wired it in flex but has fitted a PLUG to the end of it this is just an extension lead as it can be disconnected by removing the plug rendering the socket dead.
The second one sounds like the OP may of meant wired into the back of a socket in which case this would be deemed dangerous as it is wired in 1.5mm flex acting as a spur but will have no means of isolation or protection in the event of a fault as it has been hardwired into the back of a socket which is part of the fixed wiring of the house and will more than likely be connected to a 32 amp cb rendering the 1.5mm flex unsuitable and the weakest link.
If that is the case it would be automatically disconnected and the owner would be told why.

I'm still waiting for the OP to clarify if one was hard wired into the back of a socket but I think he has ran off. (See end of post #17)

Not sure I would be as quick to jump to the term dangerous.

From the brief description the flex runs no more than a metre or two inside the wall.

Overload protection would be provided by the fuse in the plug of whatever is plugged into the socket.

Fault protection - It's worth remembering that the CPC in most 2.5mm T&Es is 1.5mm, the same size as the flex! This is where the adibiatic equation comes in with the relevant values to suit this particular installation. I'm the wrong side of a bottle of gin to be arsed with that right now but I'm fairly certain the flex will be fine.

If I'm wrong I'll blame the gin.

Hello All,

Hopefully this question will be sufficiently related to the OP`s thread to be allowable:

Please excuse my lack of the correct Electrical terminology - some of You will know that I am a Heating Engineer, Plumber & Gas Engineer - not an Electrician.

With regard to Flex cable being used for `Fixed Wiring` - I think that I know that it is NOT allowed by the Electrical Regulations - certainly not to be run under floors of in stud walls etc.

However for Years quite a few Heating systems that I have installed where the Boiler had a Pump over-run with the Pump having to be wired to the Boiler and also 4 core cable required `to the Boiler` has had the Boiler supply cable and the Pump cable run [usually from the Cylinder cupboard] in Heat Resistant Flex [`re. connecting to the Boiler`] - by the Electricians that have carried out the Heating Controls wiring.

The Flex would definitely have been run both under floors and within stud walls to get from the Cylinder cupboards to the Boilers.

I have also seen that on Heating systems that were not installed by me - so much so that it seemed to be almost a `universal installation method`.

I have queried this on various occasions - asking whether the Boiler 4 core [inc. Earth] and the Pump 3 core [inc. Earth] should be run from the Cylinder cupboard / Wiring Centre in Flat cable to adjacent the Boiler and then `transition` from Socket boxes to Heat Resistant Flex - exiting through flex entry / exit plates to connect to the Boiler.

I have usually been on friendly terms with the Electricians so there has been no perceived animosity / bad feelings about me asking that.

However this was almost universally rejected by the various Electricians that wired my Heating systems - and those Electricians would have issued Certificates for the whole Property`s Electrical installation including the Heating Controls.

What I described about flat cable being used from the Cylinder cupboard to adjacent the Boiler and then transitioning to Heat Resistant Flex was done by at least one of the Electricians over the Years and He stated that I was correct to expect that the Heating Controls wiring was installed in that way.

Sorry for the long preamble - my question is:

If as I suspect what I described about the Fixed wiring is the correct way / the only correct way [?] why would at least 6 or 7 Electricians use Flex without any hesitation [and after being asked about it by me] for the `fixed wiring` section of the Heating System Controls - knowing that they had to Certify the whole Electrical Installation - usually a complete Re-wire & Consumer Unit and the Heating controls - ?

Chris

Last edited:
Hello All,

Hopefully this question will be sufficiently related to the OP`s thread to be allowable:

With regard to Flex cable being used for `Fixed Wiring` - I think that I know that it is NOT allowed by the Electrical Regulations - certainly not to be run under floors of in stud walls etc.

However for Years quite a few Heating systems that I have installed where the Boiler had a Pump over-run with the Pump having to be wired to the Boiler and also 4 core cable required `to the Boiler` has had the Boiler supply cable and the Pump cable run [usually from the Cylinder cupboard] in Heat Resistant Flex [`re. connecting to the Boiler`] - by the Electricians that have carried out the Heating Controls wiring.

The Flex would definitely have been run both under floors and within stud walls to get from the Cylinder cupboards to the Boilers.

I have queried this on various occasions - asking whether the Boiler 4 core [inc. Earth] and the Pump 3 core [inc. Earth] should be run from the Cylinder cupboard / Wiring Centre in Flat cable to adjacent the Boiler and then `transition` from Socket boxes to Heat Resistant Flex - exiting through flex entry / exit plates to connect to the Boiler.

I have usually been on friendly terms with the Electricians so there has been no perceived animosity / bad feelings about me asking that.

However this was almost universally rejected by the various Electricians that wired my Heating systems - and those Electricians would have issued Certificates for the whole Property`s Electrical installation including the Heating Controls.

What I described about flat cable being used from the Cylinder cupboard to adjacent the Boiler and then transitioning to Heat Resistant Flex was done by at least one of the Electricians over the Years and He stated that I was correct to expect that the Heating Controls wiring was installed in that way.

Sorry for the long preamble - my question is:

If as I suspect what I described about the Fixed wiring is the correct way / the only correct way [?] why would at least 6 or 7 Electricians use Flex without any hesitation [and after being asked about it by me] for the `fixed wiring` section of the Heating System Controls - knowing that they had to Certify the whole Electrical Installation - usually a complete Re-wire & Consumer Unit and the Heating controls - ?

Chris
Your post may be disputed by some members regarding flex used for fixed wiring Chris.

Interesting timing ...........over in the plumbers forum I have just said that as far as I'm concerned boiler wiring is "control" wiring and therefore use of 5 core "flex" is perfectly acceptable......

off to my bunker now with tin hat on!

Your post may be disputed by some members regarding flex used for fixed wiring Chris.

Hello Pete,

I thought that because the OP of this thread was asking for opinions about Flex having been used to connect Socket outlets that what I have asked was `close enough` - however reading back I admit that You are probably right that I should have created a separate thread to ask my question.

Regarding the Original thread message / question:

With my VERY Limited Electrical Training / `knowledge` - am I remembering correctly that Flex is allowable where `it is visible throughout its entire length` [words to that effect] - obviously fixed correctly ?

However I am guessing that there might well be a `length limit` that I am not remembering ?

I am NOT `trying to be clever` / trying to undermine Members replies with these questions - I would genuinely like to know whether I have remembered that point correctly ?

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

Reply to Flex for fixed wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net