Discuss Fluke 1651B Bargain Price in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

How should we know whether it's any good, none of us have seen it or tried it out.

Why don't you ask your friend if it's any good, and if you trust them not to be stitching you up then buy it.

How should we know whether it's any good, none of us have seen it or tried it out.

Why don't you ask your friend if it's any good, and if you trust them not to be stitching you up then buy it.

I can put some pictures up. It’s all working but the only setting it doesn’t do is phase rotation or RCD testing

Attachments

• 2FE18469-0A95-4B14-8CB1-BBD414D106CC.jpeg
    861.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 15688F71-F2E6-4A7A-AF23-908D7F9FF2A3.jpeg
    569.6 KB · Views: 16
  • AA2D9AC5-B0B3-4125-A811-AF4A74DDEBF8.jpeg
    774.1 KB · Views: 11
  • ABD42C5B-5E9E-4A25-8478-F25DCEB26E6A.jpeg
    635.8 KB · Views: 10
  • B3F8BAAF-2C38-4675-AA16-B7DAB4EBB951.jpeg
    766.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 66496B45-810C-4531-91F3-74CEFE6B5E89.jpeg
    715.5 KB · Views: 15
I can put some pictures up. It’s all working but the only setting it doesn’t do is phase rotation or RCD testing
It does test RCDs. In general they are good testers.
I would not buy any Fluke 2nd hand tester until it is seen powering up and passing the self test.
(Anecdotal evidence suggests that they are more likely to have a hissy fit upon power-up than most other testers.)

I'm also curious....why do you want one? Didn't we have a long running thread where after about what felt like 18 months you bought an MFT, maybe a Kewtech if I remember?
For me an MFT is just a tool like a screwdriver is. Almost any brand calibrated tester will do the job.

It does test RCDs. In general they are good testers.
I would not buy any Fluke 2nd hand tester until it is seen powering up and passing the self test.
(Anecdotal evidence suggests that they are more likely to have a hissy fit upon power-up than most other testers.)

I'm also curious....why do you want one? Didn't we have a long running thread where after about what felt like 18 months you bought an MFT, maybe a Kewtech if I remember?
For me an MFT is just a tool like a screwdriver is. Almost any brand calibrated tester will do the job.

I did buy one. I thought I would see if another trainee would indeed need one.

I did buy one. I thought I would see if another trainee would indeed need one.
Ah ok.
If the RCD test setting doesn't work then it is not all working!

If that is the case then the decision is quite simple, it's broken, don't buy it.
If that’s what he meant, I completely agree.
I wasn’t sure if he thought the functions were not present.

The RCD circuit is shared by the No-trip loop circuit so a fault may show up there too.

It’s quite simple - he should bring his own tester along and compare readings for every function, and only purchase if he’s happy.
(It does seem too cheap for a calibrated MFT from a respected brand. )

Could you clarify if it won't do RCD testing because of a fault.

Seems cheap, especially since it's in cal. I'm sure someone will buy it.

I have a 1652b as a spare. It was my main tester for 13 years give or take.
They are bomb proof.
New Fluke leads would probably be more than the asking price for the tester.
This would be great for someone in a spot, as a spare or for a trainee.

I have a 1652b as a spare. It was my main tester for 13 years give or take.
They are bomb proof.
New Fluke leads would probably be more than the asking price for the tester.
This would be great for someone in a spot, as a spare or for a trainee.

The leads are expensive that’s the only thing at £169 on eBay. Plus it needs a case. The fluke one is £45. The Martindale he has is okay. That only needs calibrating but has everything.

It’s not a fault it doesn’t do ramp testing or phase rotation. I’ve linked the spec sheet.
Many 2-pole testers show phase direction.
Personally, many months will go by without needing ramp testing, and an earth leakage clamp meter can fill in the blanks and is more convenient anyway.
If that Fluke tester is calibrated and you are satisfied it is in working order then its a very good price.
Test leads are consumables anyway. A shame it doesn't have it's case, as the Fluke cases are excellent!

Many 2-pole testers show phase direction.
Personally, many months will go by without needing ramp testing, and an earth leakage clamp meter can fill in the blanks and is more convenient anyway.
If that Fluke tester is calibrated and you are satisfied it is in working order then its a very good price.
Test leads are consumables anyway. A shame it doesn't have it's case, as the Fluke cases are excellent!

I’ve a Martindale VT25 that does Phase Rotation. It’s a shame about the case. I’ve seen people use the Magnusson Organisers instead. The Fluke ones are very good. Needs a decent set of test leads as the Fluke ones are extortionately expensive.

I really wouldn't get hungup on phase rotation unless your work regularly requires it. It's not something I've ever used an MFT for, preferring instead to use a 2 pole tester. Occasionally a client wants to see this verified and we'll dig out a dedicated tester that shows all phases at the same time, but proves nothing more than a 2 pole tester.

I’ve found the fluke case for £35 and these leads:

Fluke/Amprobe TL165XA Lead kit. Compatible with 1650 and 1660 series Multifunction & Insulation Testers https://amzn.eu/d/boKad5Q

Reply to Fluke 1651B Bargain Price in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net