Discuss For old time House Bashers only in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

remember these?

8aab78aa829c17bb2b939764527e8664--parrilla-box-bag.jpg

Never seen one of those either...suspect it must have been very old GPO issue...

I do remember the Commers though and I am sure there was still one or two Morris Traveller type van being used "upcountry."

There must be one or two here who can remember the old Strowger (sp?) exchanges??? Really eerie places to walk through at night with the sound odd uniselectors stepping away as people made calls...

It was two tone , maroon and rust.
The hand brake didn't work and one day it slipped out of gear and crashed into a farm building, but after a bit of hammering out and a new head light it still soldiered on.
Reminds me of Ron who I was an apprentice to at Hammersmith Hospital telling me a story about (the photos of his naked middle aged wife he used to show me and it seems everyone else I save that one for later) how this electrician used to tear up in to work in his, wait for it Reliant Robin, pull the handbrake do a 180 and screech to a halt, until one day the handbrake cable snapped and he imbeded the car in through the door of the works shed where everyone was sat inside having a chat and a cup of tea. Once they had managed to extract the car they had to tape it all up as the body work had cracked from front to back...............

Hello All,

When I first started installing Domestic Heating systems in the early 1970`s we used a `Floorboard Saw` - a specially designed hand wood saw with a curved front - to cut all of the Floorboards that we needed to take up to install the pipework - it was hard work on the wrist when a lot of boards had to be cut.

I hate to think about the amount of time it must have been taking to Cut and Lift the amount of Floorboards required to install a Heating system and carry out a Re-Plumb in even a 3 Bedroom House !

And then have to cut notches in all of the Joists using a Handsaw !

I am sure that other Members who worked in the 1970`s / earlier years used exactly the same Floorboard saw.

And as other Members have mentioned we used Rawlplug Tools for the screw holes for Radiator brackets, Clips and most other fixing holes in Walls.

Although I was `Young, Fit and Enthusiastic` I soon decided to buy a `Skillsaw` [the actual brand] a Drill, Transformer and extension leads !

Because of the design of the `Original Skillsaw` blade guard it was actually quite dangerous to use cutting across Floorboards.

From memory these Tools were `REALLY Expensive` at that time [possibly about 2 weeks wages ?] and I felt that I could not leave them out of my sight for even a moment when working on Sites or Refurbishment Jobs - I became almost `paranoid` about the Tools being stolen.

It was almost unheard of - a `Young Plumber / Heating Installer` having those Power Tools - and ridiculously even most large Plumbing & Heating Companies had Tradesmen working with Floorboard Saws and Rawlplug Tools in the early to mid 1970`s.

The money that must have been lost [could have been saved] Labour wise by not having Power Tools must have been astronomical !

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
I think I still have one of those saws somewhere! lol

I also recall a guy having some sort of foot operated "circular saw" for floor boards although I never saw it in use.

IIRC, you started the cut with a handsaw and then put this small circular saw into it and pumped a "pedal" like lever with your foot causing the blade to spin...

It was one of those bits of kit that was relegated to a dark corner of the van by the arrival of power tools by the time I was an apprentice...

I think I still have one of those saws somewhere! lol

I also recall a guy having some sort of foot operated "circular saw" for floor boards although I never saw it in use.

IIRC, you started the cut with a handsaw and then put this small circular saw into it and pumped a "pedal" like lever with your foot causing the blade to spin...

It was one of those bits of kit that was relegated to a dark corner of the van by the arrival of power tools by the time I was an apprentice...

OMG, you are right Tel...screw slots not in line!
I will try to rectify that, but I think the ones on the top are machine screws so might be tricky.
I know I have a carpenter's brace somewhere, but rooting about in the garage was to no avail. However I came across these, Daddy Bear, Mummy Bear and Baby Bear...
WP_20180203_14_28_04_Pro[1].jpg

OMG, you are right Tel...screw slots not in line!
I will try to rectify that, but I think the ones on the top are machine screws so might be tricky.
I know I have a carpenter's brace somewhere, but rooting about in the garage was to no avail. However I came across these, Daddy Bear, Mummy Bear and Baby Bear...
View attachment 40603
i have daddy bear, and also granddaddy bear:

shopping
mine has a small chunk missing off the top of the rear wood handle. teach me not to throw at son.

mine has more of a patina, commensurate with being 70 years old.

Reply to For old time House Bashers only in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net