Discuss Fridge freezer problem in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LineProducts

Hi
I have a fridge freezer that is playing up. Freezer below, fridge above.
Symptoms: from start up freezer works fine. As soon as the fridge is switched on it all gets confused.
Fridge back well cools but not for long enough then freezer starts warming up and doesn't recover. Alarms beep etc.
Freezer fan ok
Fridge fan doesn't get power even with ventilation or quick cool settings on.

It has 2 x sensors in the fridge. What sort of resistance should these test to if working?

Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Farrel

on some models there are problems with a tube betwwen fridge and freezer icing up. try a defrost overnight, then see what happens

Thanks for suggestions.
It is a Liebherr icn 3066 integrated.
I have tried leaving it off for 48hrs.
As the mechanical bits all seem to work and the fan is not getting power my guess is it's the pcb or sensors?? But then I used to be able to fix car engines too!

might be the stat,has it just started,is it in a kitchen or garage,most wont work below 10c,had the same problem with a standard domestic ff in my garage,had do get a vestfrost to put in the garage,bit industrial looking but works no problems even in extreme cold it never fails..

Sorry Farrel, but like the modern car it needs the man to have a look at it.

We could guess for ever and still be milles from the answer. Time for the fridge version of the AA.

Thanks for suggestions.
It is a Liebherr icn 3066 integrated.
I have tried leaving it off for 48hrs.
As the mechanical bits all seem to work and the fan is not getting power my guess is it's the pcb or sensors?? But then I used to be able to fix car engines too!

Ah Farrel, I've got a big Liebherr as well, good machine.
I had similar problems a while back. Check the drain hole on the inside back wall of the fridge, easily blocked. Check around the compressors, my fridge temp was all over the show, pulled it out and found that mice had gnawed my 'Curry Secret' book into several million pieces and made a nest around one of them. Cleared it out and all was fine.

Ah Farrel, I've got a big Liebherr as well, good machine.
I had similar problems a while back. Check the drain hole on the inside back wall of the fridge, easily blocked. Check around the compressors, my fridge temp was all over the show, pulled it out and found that mice had gnawed my 'Curry Secret' book into several million pieces and made a nest around one of them. Cleared it out and all was fine.

Just pulled it out - no ' curry secrets'. Drain flowing fine. I think that your sypmtomsnbeing similar points to a heat control problem which points back to the sensors.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Hi all

i realise your problem was a while ago, my Liebherr 3066/20 started malfunctioning about 5 weeks ago with the fridge just warming up and we used the Supercool function to chill it down. That stopped working as did the freezer about two weeks ago. Repairmen have found that the coolant gas has escaped into the void between the back of the unit and where it should be, the removal of one of the sensors they thought was at fault revealed or rather heard the gas escaping. It's bust and I'm looking at another £1200 to replace it, great! Take out the five year warranty people!

Freon leaks in the foam filled cavity between the inner and outer shell of domestic fridges are common across many manufacturers. This type of leak became prominent a decade or more ago when they started using an adhesive coated plastic heat-shrink sleeve to connect the aluminium evaporator pipework to the steel or copper pipework from the compressor. Once this heat shrink joint starts leaking it's very difficult to repair because it's not accessible and because the pipes are dissimilar metals and cannot be welded. There's a lot of luck involved in whether a fridge will leak like this, the problem can occur with most models and most manufacturers. In most cases a leak of this nature will not be financially viable to repair.

Reply to Fridge freezer problem in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net