Discuss Fuse Box/Fuse board - supply and fit in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

echo the advice of pete and murdoch. a CU replacement is advisable, but maybe not necessary. a second opinion is in order.

even so, if the cables to the cooker etc. are not subject to a 30mA RCD in accordance with 522.6.101 ( green bible), then no need .

He may have legitimate reasons for suggesting a replacement.
He may indeed, but imo it's doubtful, no testing a quick look and oh yes madam you need a new fuse box that'll be£--- put your own figure on that Westy, you're a good bloke, but in this case far to trusting.
It looks like a 100ma RCD though. And yeh...proteus.
Yeah but easily rectified to a 30ma?

I still reckon Mr you need a CU change is after relieving Den of a few hundred quid, well that's my opinion anyway, but then again I'm retired so my opinion don't count according to some. Before anyone asks why I keep harping on about being retired, just let me say that the person who first aired the issue of my retirement really ticked me off, cheeky git.

Probably right Westy, but any self respecting Sparky would recommend an RCD change, wouldn't they???
I personally wouldn't go down that route and whilst you shouldn't base this on brand it would sway me. But as you say replacing the main rcd switch is of course possible.

I personally wouldn't go down that route and whilst you shouldn't base this on brand it would sway me. But as you say replacing the main rcd switch is of course possible.
What would you do then Westy? change the CU without regards to any testing or inspection, cus all this Muppet has done is look at the CU and thought "hang on some easy money to be made here.

What would you do then Westy? change the CU without regards to any testing or inspection, cus all this Muppet has done is look at the CU and thought "hang on some easy money to be made here.
We don't know what the electrician has done.

Probably right Westy, but any self respecting Sparky would recommend an RCD change, wouldn't they???
Why is that Steve? May be I'm a pessimist never trust anybody unless you know them and then think twice

From the image the unit looks a little aged, with all the testing we can do with a MFT on the circuits, we still can't test the existing mcb's.
Even if the RCD is replaced the CU would still have only one rcd for all circuits.
As already said, a decision shouldn't be made on the make, albeit my first comment was meant to be a comical one, the price I'm getting on my CEF web account is £52.52 for a replacement 80 Amp 30mA RCD.
To be fair, we've had no technical info or prices given, if the electrician can do a good deal it maybe wouldn't be such a bad call to consider an up-to-date twin RCD or RCBO CU.

If i was doing this job then i would give the customer 2 options.The first would be to change the rcd to 30ma and add the cooker circuit in the spare way.I would explain to the customer that this would cover the regulations but is not good practice due to an inconvenience if the rcd tripped.The second option would be a consumer unit change to a dual metal clad board but only if the customer wants it.I would charge approx £350 to do the second option.It really is down to the customer as to what they decide.The cheaper route but inconvenient or the dearer route which is safer,more convenient and would conform to all current regs(assuming the bonding,insulation resistance etc etc is correct)

From the image the unit looks a little aged, with all the testing we can do with a MFT on the circuits, we still can't test the existing mcb's.
Even if the RCD is replaced the CU would still have only one rcd for all circuits.
As already said, a decision shouldn't be made on the make, albeit my first comment was meant to be a comical one, the price I'm getting on my CEF web account is £52.52 for a replacement 80 Amp 30mA RCD.
To be fair, we've had no technical info or prices given, if the electrician can do a good deal it maybe wouldn't be such a bad call to consider an up-to-date twin RCD or RCBO CU.
Looks like we have a differing of opinions on this post, but I have said my bit.

I wonder if the OP has any paperwork/certification for the existing installation?
If not, a new CU would also solve that problem (if done properly) for any future sale of the property.
Also, as far as I can see, and additional circuit wouldn't be required as there is already a cooker circuit on the existing board - unless I have missed something.

Reply to Fuse Box/Fuse board - supply and fit in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net