Discuss Fuse box installed for £150 what!!! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Photo is a old one, and in all honesty it was from a new build install i had done, still however completed in the same time, and was just an example to show i dont leave a DB in a shoddy mess/rats nest

A friend of mine used to fit 3 d/bs a day (no testing someone else follows), he had them down to 21 minutes and the neatest DBs ive ever seen, all down to experience and confidence

Photo is a old one, and in all honesty it was from a new build install i had done, still however completed in the same time, and was just an example to show i dont leave a DB in a shoddy mess/rats nest

A friend of mine used to fit 3 d/bs a day (no testing someone else follows), he had them down to 21 minutes and the neatest DBs ive ever seen, all down to experience and confidence
and lots and lots of practice day in day out :)

I used to work with a guy that could do them in about 20mins.............he got caught using an impact driver to do the terminal screws up!!!! Just imagine trying to under those bad boys on a test!

I used to work with a guy that could do them in about 20mins.............he got caught using an impact driver to do the terminal screws up!!!! Just imagine trying to under those bad boys on a test!
I was doing testing for a firm doing newbuilds guy used impacts to do up everything Unsatisfactory EVERY TIME conductors damaged all over the place Socket screws all tristed n threads gubbed but worst of all he used impacts to do up sockets I think it was MEN ones where the shoulder of the driver bit hit the collar around the terminals before the terminals were truely tight

£12/ hour is about right if you are paye and your employer pays all the overheads, supplies you with tools and a van.

21 minutes from a bunch of coiled up T+Es to a spanking new fully completed db id have to see it to believe it what were they 4 way boards or something?

£12 P/H self employed doesnt work out at a wage of much over £8 p/h/ No wonder your busy ffs A friend of mune does cash homers for £20 P/H agencys offer £12.5 P/H min MOST of the time before someone quotes keech ones paying £9-£9

firm i do subbie work for offered me £20(labour only) for a cu change/testing/cert,for storage heaters either 5 or 8 way,i laughed and said are you serious,the moral of this is that if people(each to their own)want to gather work and keep busy by driving prices down lower than word spreads quickly and other sparks will get"your way too expensive ive seen them advertised for £150",we all need to earn money but we dont want to be busy fools,£12 an hour when you take out tax,fuel,insurance part p fees etc etc,better off working on the cards getting £12 an hour and actually finish at 5pm with no hassle 40 hr week,4 weeks paid holiday etc.

my local garage ( MOT Test Station as well ) charges £45/hour. he is quite happy to pay me the same for electrical work. our whole industry is going down the pan because guys will work for peanuts, then customers expect to pay peanuts.

a call the other day.
'can you tell me ball park figure, supply fit and plumb a shower?'
Like most, explained difficulties of over the phone prices, I said you're looking at £300/400...
The reply...
My mate said he'd do it for 100£.
My response? ......Answers on postcard..
Oh, and these guys who advertise 'full rewires, no decoration necessary £1200. Come do them for me, I'll gladly pay you for your time.

a call the other day.
'can you tell me ball park figure, supply fit and plumb a shower?'
Like most, explained difficulties of over the phone prices, I said you're looking at £300/400...
The reply...
My mate said he'd do it for 100£.
My response? ......Answers on postcard..
Oh, and these guys who advertise 'full rewires, no decoration necessary £1200. Come do them for me, I'll gladly pay you for your time.

Id say they could come and rewire my house for £1200 but id want a fire alarm system installed with it.

Forgot to add the db install was fresh cables on a rewire, to be quite honest i dont really care if jamie-spark doesnt beleve it, ive seen it done with my own eyes, dont beat yourself up jamie if your not very quick or good

£100 for a DB !

You need to start shopping somewhere else, i get a Wylex 10 way dual split with MCBs for £45

£150 is the bare minimum price like i stated, all the bonding is up to scratch, tails ok etc...

Just as a matter of interest where do you get your Wylex 10 way dual rcd split load board with MCBs for £45 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to add the db install was fresh cables on a rewire, to be quite honest i dont really care if jamie-spark doesnt beleve it, ive seen it done with my own eyes, dont beat yourself up jamie if your not very quick or good

Please don't knock a fellow forum member unless you have direct evidence and even then it should be dealt with privately or through the mods? Comments like these and rates of £12 per hour only serve to devalue our industry and our skills. When you're working with a potentially dangerous medium surely accuracy is the key not speed? But then again, I replaced a 12 way dual RCD board yesterday in 3 minutes 45 seconds and charged the customer 20p...NOT!

What are fresh 'cables'? If you mean recently installed new cables why was a board change required, seams odd to have new(ish) cables and an old board?

Reply to Fuse box installed for £150 what!!! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net