Discuss Fuse box installed for £150 what!!! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

My final offer is £174.99... take it or leave it!

(takers can PM me their sealed tenders along with proof of registration as a competent person & two references - price for the work should include necessary parts, fitting, trunking, fault rectification, testing, certification and tidying up after work. In general customer shouldn't complain at least for a couple of years after work has been done) :laugh:

The installation in the pic is surely a new installation???. Alot easier and quicker to do..no messing about with labelling circuit cables,taking the old board out, short cables etc etc etc. And where do you get a wylex board(10 way dual RCD fully loaded) for £45???.

The installation in the pic is surely a new installation???. Alot easier and quicker to do..no messing about with labelling circuit cables,taking the old board out, short cables etc etc etc. And where do you get a wylex board(10 way dual RCD fully loaded) for £45???.
My local wholesaler does them mate.

I have the £150 board change beaten,an owner of a care home said she had hers changed,she said the consumer unit was £50 and an "electrician" she knows only charged £50 to fit.I did offer to take over the annual testing on the care homes,but did explain that it would be more than £50 a time lol.we have to be like gas safe as this is getting silly and clearly the part p side of it has only been taken seriously by people in the trade.

I charge at £12 per hour for tracing unmarked circuits and faults

Arrive at job 8am, done and cleaned up by 9am, testing till 12pm, onto the next job, simples

I have a image in my head of everyone being the typical tradesman, tea drinking and paper reading, come on lets be honest how long does it take to change a DB and test the install?

Am i the only one who has the "Graft" idea?

And after all the age old saying go's "Stack em high, sell em cheap", the referrals i get from customers who were pleased with the work i carried out and the price is excellent, TBF i dont have a lot of overheads and im not greedy just pleased that i actually have some work

EDIT: and for anyone thinking " i bet the DB's are a mess "

View attachment 8475

I don't think that is a "swap over" is it, I think most people can terminate a newly wired board in 1 hour but the original post said a swap.

A bit too much copper showing on the connections - poorly terminated in my opinion. Apart from that quite neat but cannot believe this is a board change but a new install when all prep work has been done first. If you are doing the same layout and same make and same cable layout then they could be done fairly quickly but 21 minutes ... can't be done properly!
Here is some more pictures for you if you would like to use them, and yes i am WELL AWARE they are 16th edition boards because the pictures were taken a while ago

View attachment 8478View attachment 8479View attachment 8480

I had a text alert come in whilst I was still snoozing this morning.

"I need a replacement fuseboard" Approx budget £250 cost of lead 9.00 plus VAT = Put phone back down and continued to snooze for quite a while longer lol I was hoping it was a bad dream but I checked my phone when I actually surfaced and chuckled at the fact that the message was there.

Perhaps it was just a four way board and fault free? Still don't give a monkeys :D

I had a text alert come in whilst I was still snoozing this morning.

"I need a replacement fuseboard" Approx budget £250 cost of lead 9.00 plus VAT = Put phone back down and continued to snooze for quite a while longer lol I was hoping it was a bad dream but I checked my phone when I actually surfaced and chuckled at the fact that the message was there.

Yes mate it was me! I charge £400 and tell you via text what your getting LOL :):):).

On the serious side of things, now that the general public/potential customers can price up materials for themselves on the net and then work out what they want to pay for labour it won't be long before they tell us our quotes!

I used to charge 200 for the day, 150 for the board all in, wasnt VAT registered,
350 price for the job
I used to get the duel board for 70 all in and this included the tails and earth,
I had great relationship with the wholesaler and would chanrge me same price whatever the way duel board
My price didnt include upgrading the earthing or fault finding afterwards.
The price was for the board change only.

Job would take me 8am-12.30pm for the swap and the test.
Then lunch
Afternoon spent siting in the office at home with a cuppa filling in test sheets Invoice and notifying the job online.
280 quid in my pocket.

I would take mains changes 5 days a week , easy easy money.

A quick IR test of the ccts before starting tells you any potential probs, do this at the pricing stage, then if you get the job any ones with potential probs book in for the start of the week, to avoid the nightmare friday afternoon scenario when they need power for the weekend and RCD wont set.
Test at CU wont tell you if shared neutral on landing 2 way but even if there is then you just put both lighitng ccts on the same RCD so they have lights and then come back and rectify it.

Easy money easy work , a blissfull Friday job with the radio on and the pub to look forward to at 4pm

I normally ask £375 for a 15 way £350 for a 10. I wouldn't tell them its £200 for a day labour and £150 for the board though and then F off at half 12, it doesn't look good, just tell em the price and let them decide. But yeah easy money, If I could do 10 a week I'd be a happy man. The guy at the start of the thread who does em for £150 would make more money stacking shelves at asda.

£12PH? How does that work?
tax, accountant, van, insurances, CPS, tools, calibration, top up training, and and and
That's less than minimum wage why bother?
In London, just starting out self employed working on mostly pre war/victorian housing £350/day £50/h charging low to start with to get work. I quote a day worst case scenario (and it always is!). Materials? i charge at cost and include sundries in my labour rate, cant be bothered chasing £45 wylex's..
used to work as a chippie many years ago, always getting caught out undercharging, never again!

cheers
s

Here is some more pictures for you if you would like to use them, and yes i am WELL AWARE they are 16th edition boards because the pictures were taken a while ago

View attachment 8478View attachment 8479View attachment 8480

has any one noticed the holes in the backs of the consumer units **** me gently, Vernam616 must have thought the backs of the unit should be missing like the old Wylex ones from the sixtys !!! pehaps they were "taken a while ago" with the consumer units brought back by Marty Mcfly in the Deloran in 1955

Last edited by a moderator:
has any one noticed the holes in the backs of the consumer units **** me gently, Vernam616 must have thought the backs of the unit should be missing like the old Wylex ones from the sixtys !!! pehaps they were "taken a while ago" with the consumer units brought back by Marty Mcfly in the Deloran in 1955

yep.....and the second photo (attachment8479)no back and mounted on a combustible surface :nono:

Reply to Fuse box installed for £150 what!!! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net