Discuss Fused Spur for Combi Boiler from existing spur on bedroom? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

coliander

DIY
Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been asked to death, so apologies! But just wanted some direct confirmation that my intended wiring setup is going to be completely fine/not fine.

I'm currently planning on having my combi boiler relocated to a kitchen cupboard prior to a kitchen remodel. There is no supply running to the kitchen cupboard, or anywhere along the kitchen wall where the cupboard is situated.
In the bedroom (directly behind said kitchen wall) I have spurred a socket from the ring main onto the opposite side of the wall where the cupboard is situated. I'll only be using this socket for relatively low-draw devices (Amazon Echo, USB charger, etc)
My plan is to supply the fused spur for the boiler from the existing spur in the bedroom.
I'm aware that spurring off a spur is generally a big no-no due to the risk of overloading the supply cable, however as the spur for the boiler is fused and the spur it is feeding from will be under relatively low load, would this be feasible?

TL;DR
Can I attach a fused spur for a combi boiler to an existing spur?
No.

Technically it is against the regs. You would have to introduce a fuse before the socket, so that both points on the spur are through the fuse.

It’s a bit silly, as you could feed the boiler from a flex, to a plug, plugged into the spur socket.

The fused spur for the boiler is counted as a point, and the cable “fixed wiring” and comes under BS7671 whereas a plugged in flex doesn’t.

Thanks for that. Could I get round this by fitting 2x 1 gang back box to the existing spur in the bedroom and placing an FCU before the spurred socket?
Bit of a bodge, but the socket will be hidden by a dresser, so the FCU/Socket won't be in sight.

I suppose a cleaner option would be to temporarily convert the existing boiler fused spur into a socket, add a plug to the boiler and then spur the future boiler connection point from that socket. That way I could keep power to the boiler, have a point in thew new location for when the boiler is relocated and have the benefit of a spare socket in the kitchen at the old boiler location once the boiler has been moved. If that makes sense?

Reply to Fused Spur for Combi Boiler from existing spur on bedroom? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net