Discuss Generation meter fault or in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

solarsavings

-
Arms
Reaction score
We recently installed a 4KWp system with a landis+gyr e110 meter that fails to show a red light at night according to the customer. I have been out to it three times in the last week and it shows the flashing red light and generation figures. I turn the inverter off and get the solid red light :-(
I'm at a loss as to why when the systems checked it appears to working as it should, or am I missing something.

If the fit application hadn't been done I would have swopped the meter out.

Hi firstly I am not into micro generation , but am in supply metering, can you not exchange the meter and give the msn details to supplier?. Are the meters calibrated and do they have an recertification date?.

does it actually matter?

is it recording properly when generating?

it only shows a red light when reverse energy is detected, ie when the inverter is drawing a slight amount of power at night, could well be that the inverter doesn't draw enough at night to be detected, it's probably pretty borderline usually anyway.

@7029 dave. I could swop the meter out but it would cause hassle with paperwork. I'm not convinced that it (no solid light) will not be repeated with a new meter.

Gavin, I'm not sure it does matter, and that's the reason why I need to know whether it does or not. There could be a problem i need to address.

Went back again after an install this afternoon. We turned off the dc side, result: no generation (no flashing light) But no solid light either. Turned the dc on and the ac off, got a solid red light. So whats going on :confused5:

It appears for some reason the inverter is not shutting down as should when there is no generation taking place.

Had similar symptoms on a system some time ago, but the meter was an Elster A100C (Fronius TL inverter). Shut down inverter at rotary AC isolator, no solid red light. Shut it down at MCB or main switch in 1 way CU and got solid red light. Buggered if we could find a problem. Generation clocked up OK so we left it.

Check the spec of the inverter and you will probably find there is a small power draw when 'off' at night.

Also the load is fairly reactive so the power is less than you would expect than if measuring say current alone.

Probably nothing to worry about. If you are concerned then you could connect a spare meter in the line to see whether any power is being drawn at night.

Reply to Generation meter fault or in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net