Discuss generator/alternator to inverter wiring? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dandy1

Hi all and thanks for reading.

i am a novice at electrics so your help is greatly appreiciated

right i have an inverter (110v 5kva) for my van and it runs off its own alternator. there are six wires which are 12v negative, 12v positive, these i understand and are used just to power the inverter itself. there are then three phase wires which are not numbered and my question is would it matter exactly where the wires are terminated on the inverter I.E.phase 1, phase 2, phase 3 as marked on the inverter.

also the sixth wire is what i believe is field? this is marked up on the inverter so no problems there but would like to understand what the wire is for.

again thanks for your help

yeah its a powerall 200 series from powerall.co.uk, there is some info on the website but cant find anything for wiring.
i did phone them for a manual but looks like they dont want to give them away, and the alternator mount kit is 500+vat so heres why im here.

Attachments

• DSC_0011.jpg
    552.6 KB · Views: 52
Welcome to the forum :)

Do you have a make/model etc so members can look up the Inverter and advise accordingly.

its a powerall p200 series (p211) from powerall.co.uk, i cant get the wiring ifo from them. i have uploaded some photos if anyone can shed some light on it.DSC_0010.jpgDSC_0011.jpg

I don't know the unit but the three phase connections appear to be direct from the alternator stator winding, i.e. the three yellow leads from the terminal block on the side of the alternator, it should not matter which is which as it would be most unlikely that the inverter is sensitive to the phase sequence. However if it does not generate, as a double-check you might try swapping any two of the three, which reverses the sequence.

The field lead is the supply from the inverter to the alternator field winding. In a normal self-excited automotive alternator the field (excitation) supply is produced internally from a secondary positive terminal on the rectifier, however on this modified unit the stator voltage would be too high so the excitation is derived from electronics in the inverter. This also takes over the function of regulating the alternator output voltage.

Last edited:
I don't know the unit but the three phase connections appear to be direct from the alternator stator winding, i.e. the three yellow leads from the terminal block on the side of the alternator, it should not matter which is which as it would be most unlikely that the inverter is sensitive to the phase sequence. However if it does not generate, as a double-check you might try swapping any two of the three, which reverses the sequence.

The field lead is the supply from the inverter to the alternator field winding. In a normal self-excited automotive alternator the field (excitation) supply is produced internally from a secondary positive terminal on the rectifier, however on this modified unit the stator voltage would be too high so the excitation is derived from electronics in the inverter. This also takes over the function of regulating the alternator output voltage.
hi lucien and thanks very much for the reply
so ill try it out this weekend with a bit of luck, i was imagining blowing myself up or worse the inverter.
if you would know would have the modifications altered the 12 volt side ie reduced the charging capacity.

Does it produce a 12V output at all? I would be surprised, as I think these work by running the alternator at high and/or variable stator voltage. You'll need the manufacturers' specs but I bet the battery connection (to the inverter, not the alt) is only to operate the control circuit when the alternator output is too low.

right e o, thanks for your input, very much appreciated, will have a play on the weekend and see if i can get it running.
thanks all

just one more thing - if you dont mind
when i get it set up whats the best way to read the power its outputting (or capable of). i did read on manufacturers website typical 1250rpm but for what output.

Hi there,the rpm stated,would probably be applicable to the 1250 rpm fixed engine speed. Some vehicles fuel systems are not geared towards maintaining a fixed rpm,and need additional work,to enable a governed,set speed,whilst the vehicle is static.

The alternator shown,looks like a modified,standard automotive alternator,rather than a purpose-made generator,which would output 110v direct,and not require an additional inverter.

I don't believe the phase sequence will affect output,but without knowing more about the inverter,swapping any two over,should not cause an issue.

One thing to check,is at the stated output,110v,that alternator will be running at its' uppermost capability,and as it appears to be a standard unit,will have been designed to use the forced air,of forwards vehicle travel,to assist cooling.

It will not have this assistance,when used statically,so don't press your bare face,to the housing!

Reply to generator/alternator to inverter wiring? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net