Discuss Getting 260v out of 240v outlet. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rory614

DIY
Reaction score
I just replaced my range with a new one because the old oven took a long time to get hot and then eventually stopped working all together. Assumed it was an issue with the range as it was 20 years old. Hooked up the new range and the control panel was flashing and could not turn oven on. Could turn stove top on using knobs but button controls on panel did not work at all. Tested voltage where the wire connects to the stove and was getting 180v between one hot and neutral and 80v between the other hot and neutral. Tested at receptacle and was getting 120v between both hot and neutral and 240v between hot. Thought may have been an issue with cord had an extra and tried it with the same results. Any ideas what could be the cause of the extra voltage and uneven distribution at the range? Seems odd to me that the outlet tests fine but then when hooked up the voltage is incorrect.

I just replaced my range with a new one because the old oven took a long time to get hot and then eventually stopped working all together. Assumed it was an issue with the range as it was 20 years old. Hooked up the new range and the control panel was flashing and could not turn oven on. Could turn stove top on using knobs but button controls on panel did not work at all. Tested voltage where the wire connects to the stove and was getting 180v between one hot and neutral and 80v between the other hot and neutral. Tested at receptacle and was getting 120v between both hot and neutral and 240v between hot. Thought may have been an issue with cord had an extra and tried it with the same results. Any ideas what could be the cause of the extra voltage and uneven distribution at the range? Seems odd to me that the outlet tests fine but then when hooked up the voltage is incorrect.
Voltage drop om switch on????????????????? Maybe.

The voltage reading suggest that the neutral is not properly connected, if at all.
The loss of the neutral will cause it to float at a voltage somewhere between the two hots dependant on the connected load.

Rory I’m afraid that the 120vac. controls on you new range has fried. If you are reading 180 between the neutral you have a serious problem in you panel you elements still work because they are 240vac. Call an electrician in the morning, it could get your TV, microwave, anything that takes 120 vac

Reply to Getting 260v out of 240v outlet. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net