Discuss Getting ECS card as a self employed spark in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi guys.

just applying for an ecs card, i have everything I need to get one, but i need a "detailed reference" Ive got a mate who works at the local job centre who ive known for years, hes going to vouch for me. does the reference have to be a case of:

"iv'e known him for years, he's been a sparky for quite afew years, and as long as ive known him hes worked as one, ive seen his certificates and theyre up to scratch" obviously abit more details but the general jist of it...

or will they want something abit more substantial?

hi guys.

".....ive seen his certificates and theyre up to scratch"

lol , they're gonna want to see your certs anyway :-D
no , theyll want a reference from either a former employer , electrical supervisor , or a current client with technical standing.
jeff from down the road just wont cut it lol.

Could you not get a reference from any of your previous employers? Or have you ever sub-contracted work from another employer.

It was awkward but i had to ask for a reference from my past employer when i wanted to renew my card as approved since i'd passed 2391 exam, my current employer is not JIB registered and were not in a position to back me.

It's a shame they only last 3 years!

Thanks guys! i still do abit of subcontracting for an employer I used to work for so ill have a word with him. Abit unsure of where he will stand with doing it if you have to be JIB registered and such but he has his ECS card so he might be the man?

I don't think you need a reference, as above just leave it blank if self employed. Just send in copies of your certs.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

If you're self-employed I think you just have to get a reference from someone who can say they've known you to have been self-employed for however many years.
I seem to remember you can't get a jobcentre employee to do it though, presumably because you must have been in work and not out of work.

Reply to Getting ECS card as a self employed spark in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net