Discuss Getting new MFTs any recommendations please in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

robd

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi All,

Have decided to replace my Megger 1553 MFTs after 12 years, batteries don't last long and there are a few foibles with them and I've had enough so criteria as follows:

Must have rechargable battery pack
Needs to be able to test A type RCD test facility
Not bothered about linking up to laptop capability or anything like that.

Am thinking Megger (although expensive), Metrel or Kewtech (though I'm not sure Kewtech do one with rechargable battery)

Many thanks in advance.

Buy a couple of sets of Eneloop rechargeable batteries and open up a wider field of testers to choose from. That way you'll also never have to buy a replacement battery pack at whatever cost may be involved.
Good point I wasn't sure there were any batteries that would last a decent length of time

Been using them for a while now in various applications (standard, not high power) and find them as good as any battery, other than Duracell ultra. Well worth the initial outlay.
Thanks I am just looking at them now..eneloop pro 2500 mAh I'll get some

To give some perspective, I get over two full days out of them in a green Dewalt laser level. That's full days, where it might be turned off for lunch if within reach.

Thanks I am just looking at them now..eneloop pro 2500 mAh I'll get some

Pro are the black version?

I decided to go with the standard white cells as they're supposed to have a much longer lifespan. Be careful when choosing a charger as I think some are intended for only pro or standard cells.

I have the BQ-CC55 charger and these batteries.

Needs to be able to test A type RCD test facility
As you are coming from an older tester it's worth saying this, as it royally confused me once.
Most of the time you shouldn't just test an A type RCD with the tester set to type A.
In fact, surprisingly, you should test on AC setting for certificate results, and then optionally on type A setting.

Sometime, grab a coffee and watch this, reps from Megger and Lewden having a little 'discussion' about how testing A type RCBO's on the A type setting was falsely saying the products were not meeting BS7671 minimum standards.

As you are coming from an older tester it's worth saying this, as it royally confused me once.
Most of the time you shouldn't just test an A type RCD with the tester set to type A.
In fact, surprisingly, you should test on AC setting for certificate results, and then optionally on type A setting.

Sometime, grab a coffee and watch this, reps from Megger and Lewden having a little 'discussion' about how testing A type RCBO's on the A type setting was falsely saying the products were not meeting BS7671 minimum standards.
Thankyou for this I appreciate it..will watch it tomorrow

Reply to Getting new MFTs any recommendations please in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net