Discuss Getting on Council Tender Lists in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

liam b

Hi,
I have the opportunity to price for a rewire in a caretakers house but dont know where to start in gettting on the list to tender for my local council, i know all councils are different but does anyone have any ideas of what department normally deals with this? I dont have a clue who to make my first phone call to...

Cheers

Hi,
I have the opportunity to price for a rewire in a caretakers house but dont know where to start in gettting on the list to tender for my local council, i know all councils are different but does anyone have any ideas of what department normally deals with this? I dont have a clue who to make my first phone call to...

Cheers

Think it depends if the council uses tender sites, or has an internal way of tendering. I'd call someone at the town hall and ask what their policy is.

Most councils historically wanted NICEIC, but are coming round to ECA etc.
Most now seem to insist on CHAS / Safecontractor

Hope this little info helps

Last edited:
most insist on chas round here,no chas you wont even get to quote,get on the chas list and get some caretaker friends,they tell the others etc and if your chas they give you the work not the council as schools have there own budget for works.

most insist on chas round here,no chas you wont even get to quote,get on the chas list and get some caretaker friends,they tell the others etc and if your chas they give you the work not the council as schools have there own budget for works.

They do but allot "subscribe" to the county councils "buy in" maintenance package as it works out better value for money

In my experience it's not what you know.....but who you know!!!

Mine will only accept an NICEIC AC with CHAS & Safecontractor approval.

Sad but thats just the way they are.

They do but allot "subscribe" to the county councils "buy in" maintenance package as it works out better value for money

no thats what the heads tell the caretakers,councils round here are losing alot of work in em lighting/fire/security/boiler/plumbing maintenance etc,big companies are taking it off them at half the price,and if anyone does automatic door maintenance you could clean up,schools have to have it for some h&s reason/con and door companies charge thru the nose,seems simple enough,a lot of schools are moving away from the council to save money

ive been looking at the online tenders but what i want to price for is not online, like alot of other work the council does.

Im filling out the paper work to be a contractor on the councils list, it says 'Are you a member of NICEIC or ECA' my part p is through elecsa, can i say yes to eca? are elecsa owned by eca?

or ill have to transfer to NICEIC.

It appears to be more joined up in Scotland

There is a PUBLIC CONTRACTS SCOTLAND site that gives out all the work details, there is no fee to register and they help you through the process

You still need SELECT, NICIEC, Gas Safe etc but it seems to be better. It covers all council and almost anyone spending public money in Scotland

it seems to be a brainchild of the current Scottish Adminstration

Last edited:

Reply to Getting on Council Tender Lists in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net