Search the forum,

Discuss Getting Qualifacations When 25years+ in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Lucas James

Hello everyone, just here for as much advice as I could possibly get on what to do next. I'm 25 years old and have many failed attempts at trying to land myself an apprenticeship and now I'm at the age where the funding stops for the employer I believe.

My goal is to obviously get an apprenticeship and get fully qualified but chances of that are now as slim as ever, what options do I have now to progress?.

I've sent cv's and cover letters out to all local company's offering myself for work experience/placement etc but still no luck.
I'm in a position now where I can't afford time off to work free for someone else to get experience (which I lack), is there any officially registered courses I can do to become qualified to work in domestic property's to start off at?

The qualifications I have are; NVQ Level 2 and BTEC Level 3 in Electrical & Electronic Engineering.

I'm surprised this hasn't been replied to we have loads of trainees on here. I think because the colleges are out of season they're all on holiday or whatever so hang in there. But they'll be the ones most clued up with current systems etc

Mm don't really need any qualifciations
If you don't touch new circuits or change consumer units.
Once you touch them then there is money to be paid out.

Cources, C&G 2365 is a part time electrical cource then can be converted to 2357 NVQ3

If you are offering to work for free then that is your first mistake. When I was in college I worked on site as a labourer pushing brooms and knocking up concrete etc. The electrical firm on site had a bloke working for free to get experience who seemed like a sensible bloke and reasonably intelligent, I spoke to the spark about getting a job with them and was introduced to the owner of the company. I told him I wouldn't work for less than £100 a day, the bloke working for free was told he was no longer needed and I got the job.

The qualifications you have may not necessarily be transferable to an installation qualification (however check with C&G as you may be able to claim accredited prior learning towards another course). I have similar older qualifications and have had to do everything again, the best course of action is probably to complete a 2365 (L2 & L3) and then convert to a 2357 NVQ with a view to doing an AM2, all this can be done without employment although it can be quite daunting at times, look for a course you can do distance learning perhaps?. I would suggest scouting around family and friends for work experience once you are towards getting qualified, photograph everything you do (with you in the photo wearing PPE!) and this can then be used towards your 2357 NVQ. If you are working for people then ensure you are capable, have liabilities insurance and are not undertaking notifiable work.

Reply to Getting Qualifacations When 25years+ in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net