Discuss Ghost voltage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sb8389

-
Reaction score
Hi guys,
what is the method you use to discharge ghost voltages, reason I'm asking is I have being given a job by a heating engineer who is saying they are getting 23v across the heating pipes, he has informed me that the voltage disappears when the lighting circuit is switched off which leads me to think it's more than likely ghost voltage.

Hi guys,
what is the method you use to discharge ghost voltages, reason I'm asking is I have being given a job by a heating engineer who is saying they are getting 23v across the heating pipes, he has informed me that the voltage disappears when the lighting circuit is switched off which leads me to think it's more than likely ghost voltage.

An exocist

Hi guys,

Loads of things come to mind.

How did the plumber come to find this voltage in the first place?

What is the instrument being used to measure this voltage?

Which pipes are involved and why aren't they connected together via the radiators, boiler, etc?

Why does the plumber think it worth getting you in to remove this voltage?

Which room are the pipes in? Bathroom?

Ghost voltages don't usually appear on pipework.

Even if it is a ghost you would be better off identifying the source and fixing it. Treating the symptoms does not cure the disease

Hi guys,
Sounds like a fault to earth to me, also the pipes will not be linked via a bonding conductor either, I would suggest an electrician visits the premises with a MFT and carries out a EICR.

He said he tested it with his volt stick first, then used his mft and found voltage across the heating pipes connected up to the boiler. He said he also found voltage on the radiators he has checked. I am going on Monday with my multimeter to check it out, but just curious on best way to discharge it.

You are approaching this wrong, you need to find the source of this voltage not just try to hide the problem by discharging it!

This could be a sign of a more serious fault in the installation if it is showing up on the pipework connected to the boiler.

What was this voltage measured with reference to?

Would a ghost voltage not appear on the pipe work if a cable was wrapped around it inducing some voltage, I'm not saying there ain't a fault but I think if I check using my multimeter on LVO setting I can detect weather this is a ghost voltage or an actual fault. Am I wrong in the way I'm looking at tackling this lol?
i appreciate your feedback

give the plumber a pair of croc clips and some scrap cable. he can then run his cordless sds off the pipes.

Would a ghost voltage not appear on the pipe work if a cable was wrapped around it inducing some voltage, I'm not saying there ain't a fault but I think if I check using my multimeter on LVO setting I can detect weather this is a ghost voltage or an actual fault. Am I wrong in the way I'm looking at tackling this lol?
i appreciate your feedback

If it is a single core cable carrying a lot of current then it might, but T&E? I doubt it.

Unless it is an analogue multimeter you won't be able to differentiate a ghost voltage from a real one.

He said he tested it with his volt stick first, then used his mft and found voltage across the heating pipes connected up to the boiler. He said he also found voltage on the radiators he has checked. I am going on Monday with my multimeter to check it out, but just curious on best way to discharge it.

Something’s arse about face here. Borrow his MFT if you know how to use one.

what's a plumber doing with an MFT? a bit like giving heinrich himmler the keys to the synagogue.

Something’s arse about face here. Borrow his MFT if you know how to use one.

I don't know what you mean Tony? When my plumber mate phones me with such problems I immediately jump on the forum and ask for the answers, I'd never go to the site as a matter of urgency and deal with what sounds like it could be a potentially dangerous situation!

...Because the last plumber disconnected the bonding and didn't bother putting it back.

He's already said these pipes are the ones connected to the boiler, so if nothing else they are connected to the cpc of the boiler supply therefor there is likely to be a more significant fault than missing bonding connections

He said he tested it with his volt stick first

...Which will light up if you put it near anything from a biscuit hot out the oven to your mobile phone.

then used his mft and found voltage across the heating pipes connected up to the boiler.

...not one of those plumbers who dabble with electrics is he?

just curious on best way to discharge it.

Make sure everything is bonded to start with, try doing an IR to the disconnected main earth and see what happens.

He's already said these pipes are the ones connected to the boiler, so if nothing else they are connected to the cpc of the boiler supply therefor there is likely to be a more significant fault than missing bonding connections

There could be a PVC bit of pipe in the middle, so may not be joined to the boiler, I'm sure there's more too it.

There is no doubt there is no bonding between the 2 pipes the reading was taken at, however there is a fault which is far more important to sort out first.

How and where are these pipes separated? What was the voltage measured with? AC or DC? Many more characters needed for this game of Cluedo....And,as a deviance,there are metals and liquids contained in boilers,that can generate a voltage all on their own,like an electric eel and the human brain...think it's time for bed :dunce2:

Reply to Ghost voltage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net