Discuss Hager Split CU, RCD now nuisance tripping. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The RCD is operating intermittently; these devices are very reliable

You wouldn't be saying that if you had seen the sheer numbers of RCD devices of all kinds being returned to the manufacture for replacement on my last and previous projects!! That's the problem, many think they are very reliable, when in fact they are nowhere near as reliable as many make them out to be. That goes for all types of RCD and all manufacturers even the top end ones. You only have to just look at the amount of posts on the forum threads, where RCD failures have been highlighted!! lol!!

You wouldn't be saying that if you had seen the sheer numbers of RCD devices of all kinds being returned to the manufacture for replacement on my last and previous projects!! That's the problem, many think they are very reliable, when in fact they are nowhere near as reliable as many make them out to be. That goes for all types of RCD and all manufacturers even the top end ones. You only have to just look at the amount of posts on the forum threads, where RCD failures have been highlighted!! lol!!
One good reason to get the customer to test the rcd with the button on a regular basis, and for periodical tests although On domestic premises there is a long gap between these.

O.k. so I have messed up by not testing, I have learned the hard way and just tonight bought a whole 17th edition test kit to replace the Megger 1553 I sold before due to redundancy and two toddlers in the house. I appreciate the slaggings from people like Lurch and others... and I also really Thank Colin, Blue to bits, imago and many others for their experience and teaching me something new going forwards. I am competent and have completed many tests before but on this occasion I failed myself and a customer. I will also like to after all remove my access to the forum and if anybody can tell me how I do this, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks again to the few who do not just want to put people making mistakes down, anyways the person who never made a mistake never learnt anything, I heard...

Matt, you seem like a decent bloke and you are learning. We all started somewhere and we all make errors. You will learn loads on here but at times will get slated if what you have done goes against good practice, the Regs or your questions don't contain full details. I tell you one thing, you wont change a board again without flashing back to this post. Hang around, have a sense of humour and learn. That's what we all do. (Well most of us anyway!) There are some very experienced people on here who will help you if you set your stall out correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Hager Split CU, RCD now nuisance tripping. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net