Discuss Hager Split CU, RCD now nuisance tripping. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Matt Smith

Hi all,
I fitted a new Hager CU about a year and a half ago for a neighbour in our area, and all was fine, although the people who live in the flat are very odd and not very bright to be generous ! anyways the board has the split 30mA Rcd's one each side and type B MCB's after them.

I have split ring final cct's across the two halves of the board and lights etc..
Problem I have now is that the Rcd covering 3 x MCB's on one side of board keeps dropping out, it covers water heater cylinder, kitchen ring main and another ring main only, all with their own mcb's too. I reset the rcd upon visiting and it tripped again so I tried each mcb load one by one and water heater fine etc.. and offending item was the kitchen ring tripping the rcd after approx 4-5 seconds !

I checked with person that it's been fine for best part of 18 months and they said yes no problems before now, I am therefore unsure if it's tripping on earth leakage or possibly overloading without taking out the mcb ?

They informed me only thing changed was a washing machine a few months back which I am sure they leak to earth and as would the fridge/freezer which is also on kitchen ring.

On inspection in kitchen I found one old single socket feeding a 4 way extension and onto another 4 way lead into which we have a washing machine, fridge/freezer, toaster, steamer for food cooking, and a kettle too and now and then the microwave ! all from one single socket !!

I tried to explain that this is way too much load for a single socket but she told me it's been no problem for 36 years so far..

she asked me to take away the rcd and put in a main switch on the problem side of the split CU which I explained would be illegal and not to 17th regs then.

Today she came back saying she had bought a new 4 way and yet it still trips out !! I don't think they are getting this...

I can't run new rings to split it up as flat is totally concrete and bursting with grot and junk high up every wall and to be fair I do not want to work any further in the premises as it's a health hazard.

Anybody shed any light on how I can counter the nuisance tripping or advice if you think is washer, fridge compressor etc... all just accumulating earth curent or does 4-5 sec delay to trip sound like overloading ? Thanks all, M.

Have you removed all loads from said RFC and added them back one at a time? An appliance could be faulty and causing this. IR test results on RFC? "Overloading RCD"??? Ramp testing of RCD? etc etc etc

What were you original test results when you changed CU? What are your results now?

Last edited by a moderator:
My colleague attended to test whole cu as I haven't yet completed all of my 2391 only the practical as I was sick at time of written,
He has issued certif and all looked fine. He said he will return with me Sat to Insulation Resistance test the ring in question but I am thinking could be earth leakage from washer as that's only different appliance added and fault started after this. ?

My colleague attended to test whole cu as I haven't yet completed all of my 2391 only the practical as I was sick at time of written,
He has issued certif and all looked fine. He said he will return with me Sat to Insulation Resistance test the ring in question but I am thinking could be earth leakage from washer as that's only different appliance added and fault started after this. ?

Ahh I see. No testing = No idea whats going on!

I thought you installed CU 18 months ago. You must have finished your written 2391 by now?

Why do you need the 2391 to do the testing??

Well as far as I am aware I would need to hold full 2391 to be able to test any install or minor works ??
That's why I had to pay my colleague 300 notes to check it for me mate !
and as I hadn't sat the exam I now have to pay whole 2391 course again start to finish ! another £650 over here at college. :-( can't afford it yet due to the kids.

As he stated above, there is nothing that states you need the 2391 to test. Competency is the only word used in the regs.

£300 for a mate to test? Rip off! I know Jersey is expensive but that is a joke....

Hmmm I know a lot of guys who were NICEIC or held 2391 were going all over testing for others and charging cash private jobs £650 a board single phase and more for 415V Polestar boards etc..

I have only my 2360 part 2 and "C" Course passed but not the testing ticket unfortunately. But you guys are right, maybe I should get some test kit and do my own in future as I can carry out the schedule just not probably sign off the results.

Hmmm I know a lot of guys who were NICEIC or held 2391 were going all over testing for others and charging cash private jobs £650 a board single phase and more for 415V Polestar boards etc..

I have only my 2360 part 2 and "C" Course passed but not the testing ticket unfortunately. But you guys are right, maybe I should get some test kit and do my own in future as I can carry out the schedule just not probably sign off the results.

Did your mate do any tests for you before you changed the board? Always very good practice!

I know most of us on here would change the board and fully test, certify and notify for much less than that!

Cripes - you'll get overrun with sparkies with rates like that!!

Reply to Hager Split CU, RCD now nuisance tripping. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net