Discuss Help needed. Garage wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Go wire ya garage. Oh yeah ya can’t. You say it’s £80 call out which is expensive but you are hiring one to final connect and test. I think you are a little liar. Be honest about what you’re trying to achieve and help might be there. I do know what I’m doing otherwise I wouldn’t be qualified. Good luck with you job.

What do people expect, im going to sit here an take abuse? No, wrong. I came here for advice and get nothing but disrespect.

Go wire ya garage. Oh yeah ya can’t. You say it’s £80 call out which is expensive but you are hiring one to final connect and test. I think you are a little liar. Be honest about what you’re trying to achieve and help might be there. I do know what I’m doing otherwise I wouldn’t be qualified. Good luck with you job.

Yes casper, £80 for a bit of advice, then to get him out again to make the final connection. You might be qualified but your certainly mustnt be any good at it. Its an interest i have an want to complete, its not about the money!

Il make sure you write to yous all when i have completed the installation, thanks so much for all your help, greatly appreciated

D16A1E83-4018-4401-B02E-15A3D892B138.jpeg

Yes casper, £80 for a bit of advice, then to get him out again to make the final connection. You might be qualified but your certainly mustnt be any good at it. Its an interest i have an want to complete, its not about the money!

If someone wants to charge you £80 for giving a quite&advice then find another electrician.

I could tell you exactly how I would want things done if I was coming to make the final connections, but if another electrician saw it they may not like it and want it done another way.

There are multiple ways of doing a job and complying with the regulations, how can we know which way your electrician wants it done?

Also you’ve yet to tell us important information required before giving advice on a compliant design.
How did you calculate the size of SWA required?
What is the earthing arrangement, Ze of the supply and Zs of the existing sub-main?

Thats what their charging around here for a callout, all i want in the sheds are a radial circuit for 4 - 6 sockets, circuit for 3 lights. Its 4mm t&e swa, running 3 meters from house to main shed garage CU into a 40amp rcd. Unfortunately i know nothing about the earthing.

Unfortunately I know nothing about earthing. Well done and good start. You won’t be able to write when you blow ya fingers off ya daft sod.

As people have said it’s not as simple as just giving advice. There are to many just wanting advice but in reality they want a step by step guide. To be fair why should we when we have all worked and studied hard and pay money to get where we are. Advice is fine, step by step is not

Yes, so i have explained my situation, been honest about not know weather the sheds are earthed, their old limestone, with 1 steel structural beam through. They have been wired with 6mm t&e to a switchbox in the shed which im looking to replace. Its been wired and working for 20 years so surely it is earthed. What type im not sure of. All i was after was a get an electrician, or yes im sure it can be done, even to a certain extent. But anyway, thanks.

Its been wired and working for 20 years so surely it is earthed. What type im not sure of. All i was after was a get an electrician, or yes im sure it can be done, even to a certain extent. But anyway, thanks.

Hi mate.
Yes it may have been working for the past 20 years or even working before that but it's not up to current regs.
Take a 25 year old car. Yes it will still get you to the shops but it lacks all the modern safety features.
Same with wiring mate. You can't wire to regs 20 years old.

Hi spoon. Understand in that respect, to be honest its something i was exited about doing as ive always had an interest in domestic installation, but i guess for now i may just hire an electrician. Thanks for your feedback.

A lot of us have seen DIY bodges that make us go white.

Electrical work can look deceptively easy, with the right training and experience it can be.

BUT without the correct knowledge and experience you can end up with a functioning but incredibly dangerous installation.

The regulations are there to try and prevent death and injury not because we like spending a fortune on keeping up with the regs and test equipment.

You will be hard pressed to get the information you need here as most electricians do not want to encourage the kind of work we know to be potentially very dangerous.

I don't imagine this will make the slightest bit of difference to you but it's worth a try. :)

Hi ferg, thanks for your reply, this is what ive been after, some solid advice on why not to DIY. Im not going to ignore your honesty on electrical safety in relation to me installing it myself, so for that reason im going to source an electrician and see what he can offer towards this approach, thanks.

Hi spoon. Understand in that respect, to be honest its something i was exited about doing as ive always had an interest in domestic installation, but i guess for now i may just hire an electrician. Thanks for your feedback.

House wiring does look easy, after all, its just wires. Some DIYers get angry with us some times when we don't give them the info they want. They know the principle but don't know how to do it correctly.
Not wanting to sound like an ---, but even brain surgery is simple, in principle. Brain Cancer: Open up the head, remove cancer, close head.
We have to work to regs and we will not give any info out that is out of date.
Personally I don't have any test kit, so last time I wanted work doing in my kitchen I got a guy in to do it, and also got a cert for the work.

House wiring does look easy, after all, its just wires.

Exactly what i was thinking before i started this thread.
When i walk around the house inspecting what way its been wired it seems relatively simple,obviously not tracking it to the beginning of the installation.
its a pity ive also no knowledge on current regs and earth bonding.
i have wired the kitchen with a new light circuit for down lights and undercupboard lights, which i why i thought this garage project would be do-able. But i appear to be wrong. And appreciate your advice

any spark should be able to quote for the job FOC. then if you want to do the donkey work under his supervision, that could save you sme money.

Julius Caesar was giving advice down the Forum. When it went wrong he was stabbed in the back.

There were no ambulance chasing solicitors in his day so they resorted to the tried and tested method of compensation.

Reply to Help needed. Garage wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net