Discuss Help.. no lights downstairs in my home in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

why is it dodgy? Making a circuit by putting a live cable from 1 JB in ceiling to another, thats not dodgy ?
Because as has been said before you could be leaving live cables floating about under the floor.
It was Checkatrade, company called Banks Electricals, I have left seriously negative feedback
Did or does Banks Electrical belong to any Scheme? daft question I suppose if they belong to checkatrade they almost certainly will, find out which one NICEIC, NAPIT or one of the others and report him telling them that in your considered opinion they have left your installation unsafe, and had the gonads to charge you.

Thanks, so the one I posted a pic of should be fine or is that just for looping ?

Im guessing that as I can get lights to all lights from powering externally (use of live in working light to any switch) the worse I have is an incomplete circuit meaning the circuit will just have lower power at the CU ?

I'm all for advanced DIY, as long as you know your limits. Asking questions like you have asked, especially the ones above, shows you are beyond your limits. It's unfortunate you have had a bad experience with the electricians you have had round, but I feel this is the only way to go.

As sais above, you may put a sticking plaster on the fault and get your lights lit, but what dangers have you left and/or created?

Hopefully someone on here will be local to you. I reckon if you show an interest then they will explain to you what the fault was once they have found it.

Thanks, so the one I posted a pic of should be fine or is that just for looping ?

Im guessing that as I can get lights to all lights from powering externally (use of live in working light to any switch) the worse I have is an incomplete circuit meaning the circuit will just have lower power at the CU ?

I'm all for advanced DIY, as long as you know your limits. Asking questions like you have asked, especially the ones above, shows you are beyond your limits. It's unfortunate you have had a bad experience with the electricians you have had round, but I feel this is the only way to go.

As sais above, you may put a sticking plaster on the fault and get your lights lit, but what dangers have you left and/or created?

Hopefully someone on here will be local to you. I reckon if you show an interest then they will explain to you what the fault was once they have found it.

I love trying to find faults like this. Shame im up in the lake district.
This is exactly why we always wire our mains to the switches. So much easier to fault find. Again if its loop in at the light should be easy to find too, unless someone has been putting joint boxes on inaccessible places. Cant see it being the cable damaged (unless some one has been unlucky and nicked the cable with a screw) more likely to be a failed joint. A decent electrician should be able to pinpoint the fault quickly. Might take time to rectify though depending on whats found.
Ps are you sure its loop in at the light and u dont have live and neutrals at the switches?

I would say live at the switches as I can connect to the switch with a cable & link that to any other switch & "ALL" my lights work, irrespective of what switch I connect to ?

Picture inside light housing that works

Light.jpg

So its loop in at the light done very badly. Get rid of the wago conector on the lives (red) and put a 15amp connector (like the one on the neutrals) on it then you know all lives are making a contact

nothing wrong with those wagos except for the invisible enclosure. when you find it, it should look like this:
upload_2017-7-28_15-59-11.jpeg

or this
ae235

So its loop in at the light done very badly. Get rid of the wago conector on the lives (red) and put a 15amp connector (like the one on the neutrals) on it then you know all lives are making a contact

Get rid of the wago conector on the lives (red) and put a 15amp connector (like the one on the neutrals
FFS why????

nothing wrong with those wagos except for the invisible enclosure. when you find it, it should look like this:
View attachment 37571

Yes they are great when used correctly.
Only asked him to use 15amp connector cause hard to get them wrong. Looking at the photo he has live in and two live outs so (not including the one to the switch) so problem has to be there unless both lives out have a fault

Reply to Help.. no lights downstairs in my home in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net