Discuss Help with Wylex board in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Doing a CU change yesterday, having purchased an 8 way Wylex board and 6 Wylex miniature RCBOs recently, and was about to fix the board until sods law, it's a stud wall and the screw holes don't align with the vertical battens. Decided the easiest thing to do would be get an 11 way. As I was working a bit far from my usual wholesalers I got one from a local CEF, took it back and fixed to wall no problem. As soon as went I went to clip the first RCBO in....... ----, realised it was a half din rail with nothing for the breaker to clip onto at the bottom. Rushed back to CEF and the guy who to be fair was very helpful looked into it and said it was a different model of breaker I needed, but guess what..... they don't have any!! Advised me to try other wholesalers in the area, but none could help and they were all perplexed as the number for the RCBO I apparently need is the old type and the board I bought was brand new!

I was able to fit the breakers for the time being by but they are only secured at the base by being screwed to the busbar and I cannot leave it like that. I'm being searching Wylex's range of products online all morning but I'm still non the wiser. Have Wylex in their infinite wisdom gone back to half DIN rail assemblies, without updating their range of breakers, or am I missing something. Much appreciated if anyone can help me.

I would have used plaster board rawl plugs, the metal screw in ones. Man, you've gone to a lot of trouble for the sake of a rawl plug ?
Or possibly screw a piece of ply on to the wall into the joists, it would only be a little bigger than your original board.

I would have used plaster board rawl plugs, the metal screw in ones. Man, you've gone to a lot of trouble for the sake of a rawl plug ?
Or possibly screw a piece of ply on to the wall into the joists, it would only be a little bigger than your original board.
Normally I would but they would have been too close to the hole for the cables

I wouldn't use only plasterboard spirals to fix a CU... but I would use them to secure a piece of board to the wall with some grip fill behind it... essentially the grip fill is bonding the board to the wall and the spirals are just holding it up until it's gone off.

Plywood is a very handy thing to keep in the van... I use it in preference to softwood for making little noggins to screw plasterboard to for hole covering.

I never ever use Wylex. Far too many different breakers for different boards. Why can companies like hager maintain the same design or at least design them to fit previous boards also? Money making scheme from wylex

No difference drilling extra holes in back of enclosure to knocking out 20 mm holes in bottom and putting grommets in
Knocking out holes that the manufacture built into the design is one thing drilling new holes into the manufacturers enclosure is a completely different thing, but don't get me wrong, my original comment was said with my tongue firmly in my cheek,

Isn't that the same as cutting a board front cover to fit a different MCB or RCD to the manufacturers recommended, obviously the glands are not to the manufactures original design or they would fit without modification.

Reply to Help with Wylex board in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net