Discuss Hi all, question about notfiable work as I'm qualified but not registered yet? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Surely if you have shelled out a lot of cash to get a "Part P" qualification, the instructors should have gone through exactly what that actually means, and what you can do without notification. Why did you complete a part P course if it hasn't culminated in you joining one of the schemes at the end of it?
I was re-joining the industry after some years. Thought I needed to do some re training, so along with the initial testing I did this one, to bring myself up to date on Building regs. Of course with hindsight I might have just read the book. However the day was also spent chatting to other sparks, and I gained some more knowledge from them, so the money wasn't entirely wasted.

If you speak to your local building control they will tell you what they except in the form of qualifications. Test and inspect and issue the certificate , send a copy of the inspection and 17th edition and suitable inspection and testing qualification ie 2391. Pay the fee which varies and building control will except your findings and issue a building notice. The local building control for each area has different fees and have the forms for the building notice online . I do not belong to a scheme and test and inspect for councils and courts around the uk and have been asked by the courts not to be associated or affiliated with an scheme, so when I do domestic notifiable work I go through LBC and they always give me a professional discount .

Please tell more, I'm currently paying £500+ each year to belong to a scheme, so that when needed I can self notify. Is yours a cheaper option?

Depends on the LBC speak to them and see what discount they give you, all depends on how many notifiable jobs you are putting through them. Only you will know and work the cost out there are pros and cons for both sides/

Depends on the LBC speak to them and see what discount they give you, all depends on how many notifiable jobs you are putting through them. Only you will know and work the cost out there are pros and cons for both sides/

Having never spoken to my LBC on the subject, I can only express my view. Current notification fee with my LBC outside of a scheme, is £494 & regularisation cert £618. On the application it quotes;

'Where an approved installer is not used for the electrical installation (which may form part of other works to the property eg an extension) then evidence that safety standards have been achieved will be required before a Completion Certificate can be issued. This will also apply to DIY installations. The Local Authority will arrange for inspection and testing of the installation and a charge of £400 +VAT will be made to cover the costs'.

Does you LBC offer another system, other than being part of a scheme? And if they do, how do they assess your competency (not suggesting your not)?

So I foresee two issues, 1) proving competency & 2) securing a large discount on the application fee, against paying an annual subscription to a scheme (I've done about 10 notifications via my scheme this year).

Well I think you are looking at the planning side and on the forms it says Part P electrical work and say if you are able to inspect and test and issue certificates the fees are greatly reduced ie three local council to are one is free the other two are £65 and £85 which is greatly reduced. The fees you are quoting I am sure are for a DIY where they come out and inspect and test and issue a building notice.

The fees you are quoting I am sure are for a DIY where they come out and inspect and test and issue a building notice.
But that's the rub, how do you prove you are competent? Most LBC's don't have the ability, time or inclination to make an assessment of an 'electricians' ability. They'll just refer you back to the 'approved Part P scheme'. Might be a route for a one off notification, but not for a business.

Other lbc ask for a copy of you C&G 17th edition and a inspection and testing qualification and a copy of your certificate you have issued. That is how you prove and then you get on the LBC list of approved contractors

Reply to Hi all, question about notfiable work as I'm qualified but not registered yet? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net