• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Hi from a gran with a dodgy socket. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a problem I hope you can help with. Today I plugged a small fan heater into an extension lead with 4 outlets. Also plugged in was a tumble dryer and small dehumidifier. The dryer was OFF, the dehumidifier was on. After around 15 minutes I could smell that distinctive electrical burning, a bit 'fishy'. Switched it off at the wall socket and the plug was hot. There is a light brown mark on the cover but what is most concerning is that the plug is now stuck in the socket and will not come out, it comes out about 3or 4 mms but no further. I'm well and truly stuck! Should I just get a screwdriver behind it and prise it out (with the sockets circuit off of course) or will that damage it?

Last edited:
Its the extension plug thats burned and stuck in the socket. The dryer was not on at the time and has been fine. The heater is a small one and I was shocked it happened with that and not the dryer.

Is it my fault then and not the socket? Its a rented property and the landlord will not spend money on it so its falling apart. I am moving out in 2 weeks so am gutted this happened now. If it is my fault he will keep my deposit. :(

I would be very careful with the screwdriver, and make sure it didn't touch any prongs, and turn it off at the mains too. I promise I won't stick it ion any holes ;). :)

Don't take a screw driver to it. I've tried to extract a plug in just such a situation with a crowbar and I failed.

The best advice is to get a recommendation from family, friends, colleagues for a local electrician.

Providing the wiring in the back of the socket is OK, replacing the socket is a relatively quick job and shouldn't cost too much.

If you could be a bit more precise (a town for example), one of the guys may be able to get it sorted for you.

How often do we hear "the landlord won't spend any money" ffs!

A small fee to keep tenants safe.

Something needs to change to get these cheapskates brought into the real world ....

You should not lose your deposit though. By law it should be held by an independent trustee deposit company who will ensure that any cost is fairly deducted from your deposit. And there is a dispute process in the event of any disagreement. I hope the landlord was not so unscrupulous as to keep the deposit in his own bank.

How often do we hear "the landlord won't spend any money" ffs!

A small fee to keep tenants safe.

Something needs to change to get these cheapskates brought into the real world ....

I have been flushing the loo manually by lifting the lid and pushing down the ballcock to fill the cistern because he said we can't all live in luxury, this was the day I moved in 18 months ago and must have been like that for the previous tenant!! I will be glad to leave but want to know that this socket is safe, not just for me but for the poor soul whi will be in here after me.

Actually when I read that you had a dodgy socket, at a quick glance I thought you meant hip socket or something like that tee heh!
P.S. sorry that was a bit silly!

Last edited by a moderator:
needs to change to get these cheapskates
In the area I lived the council have introduced a scheme where to qualify as a landlord you HAVE to meet a list of requirements such as EIC/EICR, Gas cert. Fire cert. and so on and you have to pay to submit them etc. Which I think is a welcome initiative to stop these things going on. In fact @supergran may be in such a zone, and maybe should enquire of the council regards that. However caveat emptor applies to buying/renting and if you took it on with a non flushing loo, there is no remedy.

You could go out and buy a replacement socket and a new plug top for the extension cable (the existing socket will cause overheating to the next item plugged in,even if the plug can be removed)

The welded plug will be obscuring one of the 2 fixing screws needed for access in order to remove the socket, some how or other that plug will need to be dislodged,possibly by the screwdriver method you suggested

A new socket and a new plug for your extension ready for the friends spark to fit should save you any blood money the landlord may want to inflict

Haha, I had 2 dodgy hip sockets and had those replaced too :p.
I signed the contract but didn't move in for 2 weeks. When I did move in the loo wasn't flushing so I told the agent who called the landlord. I expected a plumber but the LL turned up and showed me how to flush it without the lever! I told him it needed to be fixed but it never was. When I viewed it I never thought about testing the loo. My next door neighbour complained about his place and his rent was doubled. Only 2 weeks and I am out of here, into a newly decorated home that has been looked after by a responsible landlord.

Reply to Hi from a gran with a dodgy socket. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back