Discuss Hilti batteries...??? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Boberto

Ive had a Hilti 36V SDS drill for a few years now. Cracking drill if a little heavy. Last few weeks im noticing the batteries are almost discharging themselves! If I fully charge either of the batteries today and use the drill a little then by tomorrow - completely flat.. dead! Nothing! I have always ensured they get full charges and have looked after the drill and batteries. Bit gutted cos I know the cost of 2 new ones would probably equate to a 24V Bosch or something similar. :( I am wondering if anyone knows what has gone wrong. Seemed funny both batteries started doing it at the same time?? Could it be the charger? Have I stored it at a temperature not suitable for the batteries? Would Hilti be able to repair them? Help!

Basically the only way to use it is for example - turn up at job tomorrow - batterys dead - even if both fully charged day before. Charge battery and this will work in the drill but you have to charge them there and then to get them to work?!??!

Hi Roberto, On most Hilti chargers there is a "turtle" recovery function this may revive the batteries.
As they get older, batteries often cannot be fully recharged and no longer give their usual performance. Hilti "Top" chargers with the "Turtle" push button permit this fatigue phenomenon to be overcome with a conditioning charge. It takes between 6 and approx. 12 hours to condition all cells optimally. In this way, old batteries with a reduced charging capacity become as good as new again.
The conditioning function of "Turtle" push button may be regarded as a kind of retraining. It puts new life into dead batteries. This function may not be used more often than every two months, however, because too much "retraining" can weaken a battery. These two months correspond to forty charging cycles.
If you don't have this function on your charger or it hasn't worked, Hilti service centres do a free battery testing service, see Hilti website for details. If you find the battery needs replacing, you will find Hilti's prices astronomical, check out the link below for a cheaper alternative, I have used them for "Dewalt" and "Bosch" replacements and have no complaints.
Hilti Online
Hilti | Recell Your Battery

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Hilti batteries...??? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net