Discuss Holiday let Fire Alarm in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Do these still need a mains supply, if so it might not always be so simple.

If not then radio interlinked wont last anywhere near 10 years despite any claims otherwise. 1 year maybe, 10 years no way hosea.

Years ago I would have agreed on the battery issue.

Now the batteries and the alarm technology are much better, however I would not install something like Fire Angel (they had a product recall a few years ago as 10 year batteries lasted 1.5 years)

On the other side I install Aico battery interlinked alarms and have had almost no failures, the failure rate is less than 0.05% (we have installed lots), we tend to get the client to buy them direct from the wholesaler to keep our turnover down

Thanks James
I believe that the original question would have negated most of your need to display your knowledge on Fire Alarm systems, however thank you for your manufacturer recommendations

Years ago I would have agreed on the battery issue.

Now the batteries and the alarm technology are much better, however I would not install something like Fire Angel (they had a product recall a few years ago as 10 year batteries lasted 1.5 years)

On the other side I install Aico battery interlinked alarms and have had almost no failures, the failure rate is less than 0.05% (we have installed lots), we tend to get the client to buy them direct from the wholesaler to keep our turnover down
Hi, baldelectrician doesn't BS 5839 Part 6 Grade D1 Category LD1 compliant regs want mains powered units as opposed to all battery which falls into the BS 5839 Part 6 Grade F1 compliant regs?

I think you’re mixing me up with someone else, I made no manufactures recommendations.
only made a point about definitions

Ok… I’ll bite.

Oscar… are you suggesting that aico, with a 10 year battery, no mains power will not last 10 years because of the rf functionality?

I would estimate 50% of Scottish homes have at least one of these types of detector since the new legislation came in. Possibly more.

Are we certain OP is in Scotland, or was that just to explain something?
If they are, then all domestic properties are the same whether owned, rented or holiday accommodation… it’s one smoke on each hall/ landing…. Heat in kitchen and smoke in “a room that gets used the most” like a living room.
Extra detectors can be put in if required according to layout of house.

However, some of my English customers just over the border have indeed needed detectors in bedrooms for holiday lets.

If not then radio interlinked wont last anywhere near 10 years despite any claims otherwise. 1 year maybe, 10 years no way hosea.
Ah you have used FireAngel then?

I would say that if you were doing a rewire than putting in the mains powered Aico would be better as the alarm modules are cheaper, more so when it comes to the ~10 year replacement due to sensor age, etc. I would still use the light circuit for powering it though unless something complicated where it had to be separate.

Best thing to me about the Aico range is the remote test/silence button, saves folks trying to wave a towel at them, etc.

Last edited:
Ok… I’ll bite.

Oscar… are you suggesting that aico, with a 10 year battery, no mains power will not last 10 years because of the rf functionality?

I would estimate 50% of Scottish homes have at least one of these types of detector since the new legislation came in. Possibly more.

Are we certain OP is in Scotland, or was that just to explain something?
If they are, then all domestic properties are the same whether owned, rented or holiday accommodation… it’s one smoke on each hall/ landing…. Heat in kitchen and smoke in “a room that gets used the most” like a living room.
Extra detectors can be put in if required according to layout of house.

However, some of my English customers just over the border have indeed needed detectors in bedrooms for holiday lets.
WHAT!!! you coming over the Border ...... Hahahaha!!

Reply to Holiday let Fire Alarm in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net