Search the forum,

Discuss Home Network Question & Master Socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

For the most part Cat 5 and Cat 5e cables are identical if you're equipment is 100Mbit, and I suspect, on short runs you'd be able to run 1000Mbit down either of them without a hitch. The connectors themselves seem to be nearly identical regardless of what 'Cat X' value they have attached to them until you start talking about more expensive shielded sockets and such like.

I suspect, but can't guarantee, those faceplates will be fine.

With the newer vDSL / ADSL filters it is possible to have a vDSL extension for the modem / router from the master socket .
I wire the vDSL connection to an RJ11 socket where the modem / router is to be located using the RJ11 avoids telephones or data cables being plugged into it and it designates it use.
Telephone extensions will generally not cause broadband interference as long as only terminals 2 & 5 are connected. The broadband interference is caused by having the bell wire connection on terminal 3 connected which with modern equipment is not needed nowadays

With the newer vDSL / ADSL filters it is possible to have a vDSL extension for the modem / router from the master socket .
I wire the vDSL connection to an RJ11 socket where the modem / router is to be located using the RJ11 avoids telephones or data cables being plugged into it and it designates it use.
Telephone extensions will generally not cause broadband interference as long as only terminals 2 & 5 are connected. The broadband interference is caused by having the bell wire connection on terminal 3 connected which with modern equipment is not needed nowadays

Good advice on the vDSL extensions, thanks :)

The extensions side of things, I'm only going on what I've been advised time and time again when I've complained about performance to BT and other service providers. Disconnect extensions you don't need.

The "extensions" that I've found to be most problematic are those fitted by the Sky installers for their Sky boxes some of levels of interference caused have dropped the broadband speed to virtually nothing

My brother works for BT and regularly talks to one of senior tech engineers who travels all over the country troubleshooting telephone and broadband interference issues and some of the causes of major interference are household appliances on one occasion a set of christmas lights on one house was causing problems for everyone on the local cabling so it is not just the phone cabling that causes problems

Reply to Home Network Question & Master Socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net