Discuss Horse Stables and Workshop in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I for one can tell you that E54 is spot on with his advice when it comes to the sub main !
I will hopefully soon to be reporting back on another thread as to the out come of a fault on a largish sub main we have been tasked to sort out which appears not have been laid correctly and it does somewhat look ominous at the moment .:disappointed:

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much so far for all the feed back so far.

In answer to a few points raised, yes I'm a sparks but I very rarely do any installs now and certainly never been involved with agricultural / horticultural installs as for the last 25 years I have been involved in maintenance and fault finding mainly, so I want advice from people who have experience in this field (excuse the pun).

It is a freebie job because he's family and we're close, I can also rely on him to help me out whenever / whatever I need.

The submain has been laid in soft sand at a depth of 1000mm, cable warning tape was laid on top of the sand before trench was back filled.

Regards,

ruu

I have worked on a few stables over the years
a few practical things to bear in mind
Rats like being near horses and horses bedding and food
so I always used metal conduit or SWA
horses wee is corrosive !
just want to throw that in
horses seem to have a nasty habit of dropping dead when in receipt of very small voltages
had a problem on a job ( not of my doing) a vet called me over as the Horse had keeled over brown bread, gradients was the problem and the earth electrode was adjacent to the building so a small voltage was detected a few feet away, usualy they recomend earth electrodes to be some distance from the building
any thing electrical switch gear sockets etc in stables needs to be substantial as for some odd reason horsey people are a trifle clumsy and often a little intoxicated !
i have often found in that in conversation horses are more intelligent than their owners !
sorry I cant be of much technical help just thought I would throw a few words in
ps consider an alarm as well as tack room thefts are regular

Last edited:
and with intruder and fire alarm sounders,put them outside of the building not inside the stable block,a spooked horse is a dangerous beast..

As Phil D said, all lighting runs on top beam, but switches (IP rated) between each stall, far enough away from any inquisitive horses. Sockets in tack room; if power needed, then use an extension lead.

you dont want an extension lead running through a stable block,bar the trip hazards a cable possibly running through water and the potenial for a horse just to stand on it and crush it adds other risks,an external socket would be best to provide power for the vet and blacksmith.

Reply to Horse Stables and Workshop in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net