Discuss Hot tub installation ! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There are specific circumstances where you cannot use Tncs (like caravan parks I believe, it has to be rodded, as a fellow forum member I know who works alot for the Caravan Club will testify).

Is a hot tub one of these instances?

The only other problem is with services like water pipes - which means main bonds also need to be extended- which could be a pain.

Apart from that I 'd rather have a Zs of 0.3 than 37 or 17 or 7 .....?

Unless there's a specific reason, why can't you export it?

The Dno's dont approve of extending their PME earth beyond the equipotential zone of the building in which the supply is located.
This is only an issue if there is exposed / extraneous metalwork at or around the hot tub ,
as in the unlikely event of a neutral break this metalwork may rise to a dangerous potential.
hope this helps.

I replied in the other thread, I installed my tub using the supplied tncs earthing arrangement also putting a rod in at the tub end. This rod was well below 22 ohms as stated in the regs, the only problem I had was when you got out the tub and one leg was on the floor and one in the water you could feel a shocking feeling, slight difference between true earth and suppliers earth, therefor I disconnected the suppliers earthing and made the tub tt. Alls fine now so that's how I install them from now on!

There are specific circumstances where you cannot use Tncs (like caravan parks I believe, it has to be rodded, as a fellow forum member I know who works alot for the Caravan Club will testify).

Is a hot tub one of these instances?

The only other problem is with services like water pipes - which means main bonds also need to be extended- which could be a pain.
agreed , so in that instance you have a choice of running a 10mm earth bond from the MET to the outside pipes or , bang in earth rod near hot tub.
most choose the earth rod method if its a long run back inside and they're only using a 6mm cable anyway.

Apart from that I 'd rather have a Zs of 0.3 than 37 or 17 or 7 .....?
so would i lol

But if you export and have rcd protection how can people feel the tingle when getting in and out. This must be potential difference with the value at the met(via tncs) and the ground where the tub is located, part of body in the water and foot on the ground. Surely the max difference would be 50v any more the rcd would trip

cheers for that 'keithsims' ................... NO exposed metalwork etc at the hot tub but I think if you TT it and the readings are good then this is the way to go.

last hot tub i did was off TNS , didnt bother with any rods :-D

If the hot tub was located on bare ground or grass, i think i'd be also installing a rod, even if it was a TN-S supplied installation. Your still going to get a potential difference between true earth and the DNO TN-S earth.....

As for the Regs, i think they state somewhere, that a TNC-S supply can be used, for supplying hot-tubs and the like provided an earth electrode of a certain value is also provided.... I think that value was around 20 ohms, but i wouldn't swear to it...

How many lost neutrals have you seen? And how long before fixed.

Me-none.

Knackered RCDs owner unaware of, prob been like it since installation by a (*cough*) electrician?

Me-about 15.

I think earlier posters were trying to decide on TNCS or TT. E54 you're proposing TNCS with a back up rod as well aren't you. All connected together, so to speak.

Reply to Hot tub installation ! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net