Discuss hot tub / mains outlet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

timc69

Hi I install lots of the same hot tub and have come across a problem at someones house which I think is a problem with the socket at the wall. The hot tub is a 13amp plug and play and I have set up hundreds with no problems before. Only at this house I have had the same problem twice now and have just installed the third and am worried it may happen again so could do with some clarity and advice.

The hot tub got plugged into a normal plug socket in the front room and two days later got a call saying it had tripped the fuses and they could smell burning. I attended and swapped the unit noticing the hot tub heated blower had blown and burned/melted some surrounding plastic. I put this down to the blower blowing due to a fault with it, obviously I thought the melted plastic, burning and smell was strange as I've had them blow before and all they do it trip the breaker I use. Anyway new one set up fine left it OK,

Then the same time x2 days later they are in it again an blew only this time the circuit breaker breaker has burned and melted, this has ruined the plug and breaker but saved the hot tub electrics by the looks of it. So I went out to look at it and investigate. So I look at the socket where it was plugged into the mains in the wall and it is pretty much hanging off the wall, stupidly I didn't plug it in and left the home owner to do it, obviously thinking its common sense to not use one like it.
Now my thoughts are this plug socket has caused both issues with the burning of the blower and the socket and breaker join, am I right in thinking there could of been an arc and caused a power surge or something of the sort, and the breaker won't of tripped because it wasn't a ground falut.

I have swapped the hot tub unit for another in case it devolps a fault after the blow, i have plugged it in myself in a socket in better shape on its own, and should be fine, but will this other plug cause any problems for the plug on the other side of the room which I am now using. And am I right in thinking its the dodgy wiring and socket which most probably caused the problem.

Luckily i don't cheap out on the parts I use as I can imagine something without such fireproof properties could of cause a fire.

The blower and pump and control panel would of been the only things running at the time on both as the heater shuts off when the blower is on, the draw for the blower I think was 8amp and pump about 3 I think. They blew both time with blower on, this is a heated blower, but only blew at blower motor once and then the beaker 2nd time.

Also the hot tub units there self trip the breaker if anything blows on the unit, and never two in a row would do the same thing and burn, which to me points towards a different cause.

Many thanks in advance

Hi I install lots of the same hot tub and have come across a problem at someones house which I think is a problem with the socket at the wall. The hot tub is a 13amp plug and play and I have set up hundreds with no problems before. Only at this house I have had the same problem twice now and have just installed the third and am worried it may happen again so could do with some clarity and advice.

The hot tub got plugged into a normal plug socket in the front room and two days later got a call saying it had tripped the fuses and they could smell burning. I attended and swapped the unit noticing the hot tub heated blower had blown and burned/melted some surrounding plastic. I put this down to the blower blowing due to a fault with it, obviously I thought the melted plastic, burning and smell was strange as I've had them blow before and all they do it trip the breaker I use. Anyway new one set up fine left it OK,

Then the same time x2 days later they are in it again an blew only this time the circuit breaker breaker has burned and melted, this has ruined the plug and breaker but saved the hot tub electrics by the looks of it. So I went out to look at it and investigate. So I look at the socket where it was plugged into the mains in the wall and it is pretty much hanging off the wall, stupidly I didn't plug it in and left the home owner to do it, obviously thinking its common sense to not use one like it.
Now my thoughts are this plug socket has caused both issues with the burning of the blower and the socket and breaker join, am I right in thinking there could of been an arc and caused a power surge or something of the sort, and the breaker won't of tripped because it wasn't a ground falut.

I have swapped the hot tub unit for another in case it devolps a fault after the blow, i have plugged it in myself in a socket in better shape on its own, and should be fine, but will this other plug cause any problems for the plug on the other side of the room which I am now using. And am I right in thinking its the dodgy wiring and socket which most probably caused the problem.

Luckily i don't cheap out on the parts I use as I can imagine something without such fireproof properties could of cause a fire.

The blower and pump and control panel would of been the only things running at the time on both as the heater shuts off when the blower is on, the draw for the blower I think was 8amp and pump about 3 I think. They blew both time with blower on, this is a heated blower, but only blew at blower motor once and then the beaker 2nd time.

Also the hot tub units there self trip the breaker if anything blows on the unit, and never two in a row would do the same thing and burn, which to me points towards a different cause.

Many thanks in advance

Also will the circuit board be OK on the two that had the problems or shall I get them checked for blown fuses etc.

How about don't keep plugging in the hot tub if it's causing serious (potentially fatal) problems like you have described and call a qualified spark in to have a look/and conduct tests on the installation/circuit!

Many thanks in advance

When you say circuit breaker do you mean an RCD or an MCB? If it's an RCD did it test ok for tripping times when you fitted it? The usual cause of burning at such a device is a poorly made/loose connection, but I'm sure you would have checked and tested those connections before switching it on wouldn't you?

Hi dude,It may be as simple as the 11 amp load on the socket outlet,is finding the weak spots in peoples installations.

I did some work for an outfit importing DIY Plasma rigs,and they did the same,in as much as they gave what they were plugged into,a real testing......

.....and were very soon dropped from the sales listings...

Would it maybe be quicker and cheaper to get an electrician in to have a look? I appreciate an electrician may charge more than a hot tub engineer but it'd be cheaper than keep replacing parts; presumably your company aren't made of hot tubs?
While they're at it they could replace the melted sockets and MCB.

So it seems the hot tub installer has no meaningful electrical background whatsoever!!
Whether these hot tubs are plug in and play or not, siting of these tubs is an important issue with regards to electrical safety, especially where a TNC-S supply is present... Wet concrete patio floors etc or wet grass and bare wet feet can be a tragedy waiting to happen unless suitable earthing precautions have been taken. And we just know that they haven't!!

This guy or his customer needs to get a qualified electrician in to sort out this current problem, just constantly replacing the fuse, or blaming a socket outlet, somehow just isn't going to cut it!!

Reply to hot tub / mains outlet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net