Discuss HOUSE upstairs lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

thelondonway

domestic house call out today- upstairs lights not working , loop in system looks like bathroom lights is first on circuit , got power leaving breaker but no power anywhere upstairs ,no power at any light or switch.

although the stupid volt pen was flashing on initial contact of some of the circuit clarified with fluke it had no power .

after clarifying no power at any accessories i went into loft to examine routes but loft is mayhem advised for loft clear out before proceeding with fault find

anyone any ideas

breaker not tripping , break in cable somewhere

Drop all switches and check then accessories (light fittings) before diving into loft sounds like loose, broken wire also ask if they have changed anything like switches wont believe how much time ive wasted because owner didnt want to admit its their own fault.

I would do do r1 rn test go to the board and turn off mcb then connect live and neutral in the board then go to last light on the circuit and test r1 and rn then work your way back till you get a reading that will tell you inbetween what light the break is at

Did u ask when they first noticed, had they done anything unusual that day e.g. Been in loft and possibly caught foot on cable without noticing pulling it out of light. Or had they had any work done by another tradesman or DIY and possibly damaged cable somehow that way?

asked all usual questions nothing done in house
been like this since sat
mcb defo ok used fluke and showed L-n - L-E on load side
asked when last were in loft and they said xmas

defo is the bathroom , as it has 4 cables in loop in all rest have 2
the 4 in bathroom are the normal 1 in 1 out , 1 to switch and theres a fan with timer off it also

- - - Updated - - -

mice in the loft?

i was thinking this , breaker not tripping though so must be through the live only

Thats what I was just thinking philD. Junction box in loft with a loose neutral connection been sizzling away for a while and finally snapped??? Should still have 230v L-E though if this happened, just no lights!

When you said the voltstick lit but meter read no voltage are you sure its not dropped the neutral?

when testing with the pen it showed it was dead but now n then it would initialy light up on contact then go out straight away done this about 5 times , but fluke showed defo dead

- - - Updated - - -

Thats what I was just thinking philD. Junction box in loft with a loose neutral connection been sizzling away for a while and finally snapped??? Should still have 230v L-E though if this happened, just no lights!

wont be junction box with loop in

Reply to HOUSE upstairs lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net