Discuss How do I isolate 2 switches for 2 devices? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

COamateur

DIY
Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm trying to find the best way to wire a dual switch for a porch light and indoor ceiling fan. The source power cable, fan power cable, porch light power cable, as well as a smoke detector power cable all reside within an accessible metal j-box (see attached drawing).

I currently have a 12-2-2 (black, red, white, white, ground) cable run from this j-box to connect to a single pole dual switch.

My plan is to take:
  • the 12-2-2 feeds (black and red) from the switch run and tie them into the hot (black) from main power source
  • a 12-2-2 neutral (white) from switch #1 and tie directly to the hot (black) from the porch light
  • a 12-2-2 neutral (white) from switch #2 and tie directly to the hot (black) from the fan
  • the hot (black) from smoke alarm to hot (black) from power source
  • the neutrals from power source, fan, porch light, and smoke detector all together

Can anyone give feedback on my wiring plan within the j-box? I don't want to get any wires crossed and my brain is having a hard time figuring this one out!

switch plan.png

In essence yes this should work. One of the whites in the 12-2-2 should have a red stripe on it, I believe this is known as the candy cane wire Stateside. The whites used for hots should be identified with black tape or sleeve at both ends so they are not confused with the neutrals.

Last edited:

Reply to How do I isolate 2 switches for 2 devices? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello everyone... There are a total of 4 cables entering the junction box at the top of the staircase. Two 12/2 cables are coming in through the...
Replies
Views
Hi, in my bedroom i had a 2 gang dimmer that powered 2 set of 3 spot lights and also had passthrough wires to other sockets. Im changing to just...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am installing a new bathroom fan. We had an electrician who ran 14/3 into a junction box. The black feeds a led light and the red was...
Replies
Views
Hello, my house was built in the 1950s and every time I look behind a wall plate the wiring isn’t how it’s shown in any DIY book I’ve read. I’m...
Replies
Views
L
WIRING FOR WALL SMART SWITCH FOR CEILING FAN/LIGHT Just bought a smart wall switch for a ceiling fan/light currently connected to a single switch...
Replies
Views
littletwinn
L

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock