Discuss How do lines run through a set of flats? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
I was walking past a block of flats yesterday and I was just wondering if the electrical lines went into the house as a whole and formed some sort of hub in the centre before branching off into their own directions or if they just entered into the walls and went straight to their destinations? I don't know much about wiring so I may sound very stupid but it was just a thought I had and I can't find an answer anywhere.
-Alice

supply would nomally enter at ground level . a riser would go all the way up the block with the distribution cables to each flat going up and branching off as required.

Hi,
I was walking past a block of flats yesterday and I was just wondering if the electrical lines went into the house as a whole and formed some sort of hub in the centre before branching off into their own directions or if they just entered into the walls and went straight to their destinations? I don't know much about wiring so I may sound very stupid but it was just a thought I had and I can't find an answer anywhere.
-Alice

Nothing wrong with asking questions like that. People who know a lot of stuff have generally asked a lot of questions!

Sometimes there will be a room or cupboard accessible from a communal or service area, where the main distribution equipment is all located. In low-rise construction a single cable entering the building is split into multiple circuits, one per flat, with the main fuses and meters often located there for ease of reading and maintenance. This would be impractical in a tower block, therefore the main cable (or enclosed metal busbars serving the same purpose) runs all the way up one of the building cores with feeds to each flat tapped off at each level.

Reply to How do lines run through a set of flats? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net