Discuss How long for rewire? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

whazza22

I know its had to say without seeing the job but can anyone tell me how long they would expect it to take to complete the following rewire...

-One newly qualified electrician
-Not being lived in or any furniture
-All floorboards exposed
-Good sized 3 bed house (lounge, kitchen, dining and breakfast room)
-All chasing required (exisiting sockets on skirting)

anything from 4 days to about 7. much easier if you have help chasing and pulling cables.

approx two working weeks (10 days) if you are alone and newly qualified dont fall into the trap "most sparks can do it in a week so i must"

So it's a void rewire, 3 bed, chased in. Are you making good, is it bare minimum in each room sockets & lighting wise??? telephones, TV, Sky etc etc???

You may be looking at at as much as 10 days if theres a lot of kit going in & making good the chases.

Last edited by a moderator:
if the drops are in tube, you may be able to re-use a lot of it. and it all depends on how many hours you put in each day.
seriously, though, a full rewire is really a 2 man job.

Last edited:
All your chasing first a couple of days. Then all your wiring lifting boards and running cables fitting them perhaps 2 1/2 days. Fit the board a day. 2nd fix 1 day perhaps day and a half. Testing and certs a day so allow 8 days that could go into a 9th morning.

That's on your own if you have someone to help then you can take perhaps 3 days off that, certianly 2 and half.

wow!! from a new build/rewire i would expect to take couple hours to fit board and to test it all out! the joys of knowing where all your stuff goes and terminates etc!
have to rename you speedy gonzales. 2 hours for a board inc. snags! and hypnotising the cut-out seals to fall off!!!

wow!! from a new build/rewire i would expect to take couple hours to fit board and to test it all out! the joys of knowing where all your stuff goes and terminates etc!

Well that is like a piece of string really. If it's 6 circuits and a nice easy fit then yes. But I also allow bonding in that which may need cable running to. Changing you tails , I always fit an outside MET.

I don't think I have ever fitted a CU in a couple of hours to be honest. A fairly decent size board dressed neatly should be half a day with a tails fit and bonding. I just would allow a day and take everyting into account

Agreed!!! hence why i hate answering these type of questions!!
what else would you be doing on a bank holiday morning? fitting an extra socket for the wifew's hair dryer? tidying out the van? making friends with a new bottle of Jack?

10 days would be fair. Usually work on the basis first week 1st fixing as the target, second week 2nd fix board and test no pressure then. I allow a day for the board and testing too, the board is the one part of the install people actually take notice of, this then gives them a slight degree of confidence on the rest of the rewire you've done doesn't always work like this but it does show a level of professional pride.

me and jack fell out!!! i cheated on him new years eve!!

at FT work mate!! and yes van needs a tidy!! might use my time constructively at work!! :)

Reply to How long for rewire? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net