Discuss How much cable for a 3 bed semi rewire. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jon26

Hi.
I am trying to price up the rewire of a 3 bed semi. Its my first rewire and I was wondering how much cable of different sizes im most likely going to need. Any help would be much appreciated.

As already stated. If you fall short on MCBs during CU install, delve into your lunch box and dig out the kit kat foil, few twists later and get that wedged across your bus bar and incoming live and your away with it. If its a 4 finger kit kat, i tend to give that an average rating between 30-35 amps, spot on for your rings. If your a well organised lunch box packer, you may even wrap your sarnies in foil, that gives you an easy 100amp for a main fuse.

Alternatively, having inspected the property already you will know how many sockets/lighting points there will required be per room. knowing this number and also knowing there probably wont be a room in the entire house that is larger than 10x10m you can work out how much cable you will need per room based on quantity of accessories. OR do as most of us do, buy more than you need and throw what ever is not used in the van for the next job. In this job you will never run out of a need for cable. ​ it wont go to waste my friend

How long is a length of string ?

Dont you know that equation?

stretch your arms out as wide as you can x the length of your longest finger, divide that by your shoe size and wrap the remainder around your waste. compare that to your belt length and take away the difference, finally multiply by the day of the month and subtract the amount of times you get laid a week. find the square root of the sub total and you normally end up with the answer:

Who the **** knows divided by Zero

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the reasons I dont come on this site so often is that it isn't no longer sparks only. Electrical Trainee's, DIYer's, Bob the Builder types. You wouldn't mind if they asked a reasonable question, we're often left more confused by the questions asked...

Attachments

• Piece of String.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 214
200 of 2.5 at least, ring up ring down and kitchen, plus immersion and boiler and probably 150-200 of 1.5 as well, or 1mm2 as many use for lighting, every Job is different though, but IMO this is a good guideline for 2.5 and 1.5/1.00, as for cooker and shower cable, couldn't comment for the size due to not knowing what sizes they are, but probably 15-20 mtrs for each run ish, how long is a length of string?

agreed^^^ . anything left over is then a bonus .

150m 2.5 t+e
100m 1.5 (1) for lighting
chip in some 50meters of tri core 1mm, for two way light switching and linking smoke alarms if you planning to install some.
some lenght of 10mm earth wire for gas/water bonding.
meter tails.
edited:
and some big wire for shower/cooker if required

i generally buy 2.5m in 50m rolls. OK, it costs a bit more, but is far easier to pull through 2 legs off 2 50m drums on the old cable stand. so for a 3 bed semi, i'd have 4 50m rolls. anything left over use for small jobs.

Agreed with the others, 2 rolls of 2.5
but I would buy 1 roll of 1.5 and 1 roll of 1.5 twin brown for the switch drops.
plus the usual other stuff.

Your looking about £800- £1000 for first materials. Can't tell you how much cable. But buy it in rolls :)

A piece of string is the same length from each end to the middle.

Your looking about £800- £1000 for first materials. Can't tell you how much cable. But buy it in rolls

rolls is too heavy on juice to fetch cable ( 6.5l engine, 10mpg ). cheaper to use the van for wholesaler trips.

A piece of string is the same length from each end to the middle. And, It's so long that if you divide it in five equal parts , they're be equally as long. :S

Your looking about £800- £1000 for first materials. Can't tell you how much cable. But buy it in rolls :)

A piece of string is the same length from each end to the middle.

Dude you need to find a different supplier you are getting ripped off asthat should easilycover both 1st and 2nd fix materials.

Oh and a piece of string is TWICE the length from the middle to one end.

I live in London geez, I get ripped off left right and centre. But hey, who's paying? + mate, I don't quote for second fix, these londoners will want chrome plated this and led strips here and sensor there. Labour and first fix materials for that size house for Joe blogs, 5500

Thanks to those guys who gave a reasonable helpful answer. I have come into the trades at a later date and done my part P mainly because some "proper spark" who disappeared when I tried to get him back to fix things, almost burnt my house down after not tightening all the terminals properly on the CU.
So all im trying to do is a proper job with limited experience.

Reply to How much cable for a 3 bed semi rewire. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net