Discuss How to best label cables in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

As a new forum sponsor I want to do more than just sell you stuff (though of course that would be good too ;)) - I want to help you understand what labelling options are available to you, which methods are most appropriate, and what pitfalls to avoid.

So here is the first in a series of useful "How To" articles - How to label cables.

Cable labelling

The Problems
The problem that most people have with cable labelling is just going out and buying any old labeller and thinking it will do the job. Unfortunately, most standard labellers use standard labels which are not suitable for cabling.

This is because the plastic labels like to be flat - if you stick them to curved surfaces, especially very curved surfaces like cables, they will tend to 'ping' off after a while. This leaves you with a bunch of unmarked cables and a pile of labels sitting on the floor.

The solution to this is a) extra strong adhesive, and b) to use labels made from different materials such as Nylon and Vinyl. These flexible materials don't have a shape 'memory' so won't try to flatten themselves out. Another solution is heat shrink tubing, but we'll come onto that in a moment.

RhinoPro tapes were specifically designed for this type of usage, so for a useful table listing the cable materials, their uses, and what conditions they are best suited to please see the table and descriptions at the bottom of the page on the Rhino site.

Now for the different cable labeling options:

Cable Flag Labels
One common method, though to me it looks a bit messy, is the cable flag. This is where you fold the label over the cable and back onto itself like so -

flagwrap.jpg

Vertical Wraps
Another, much neater, solution is the vertical wrap. This allows you to print the text just once, or multiple times around the cable so it's visible from any angle. However, you are restricted by the width of the label (usually 6mm, 9mm, 12mm, 19mm and 24mm) -

verticalwrap.jpg

Horizontal Wraps
While the width of the vertical wraps are restricted by the width of the label, the horizontal wrap prints lengthways down the label and can therefore be any length you want (within reason) -

horizontalwrap.jpg

Self Laminating Labels*
Similar to the horizontal wraps, but these labels come with a laminating strip so once the label has gone round the cable the laminate then goes round again to cover the label for extra protection - A bit like putting a label on then wrapping selotape round it (just a lot neater and a lot less fiddley!)

selflaminating.jpg

Heat Shrink Tubing
HST is a popular way of labelling cable as it is resiliant and there is no adhesive to come undone. Simply print on the heat shrink tubing, slip it over the end of the cable, then use a heat gun to 'shrink' the HST onto the cable. Like the horizontal wraps these are printed length ways to can be as long as is practical. Note: only use on unterminated cabling (as you can't get it over the connector!)

hst.jpg

Rhino Label Printers
Both the new Rhino 5200* labeller and top of the range Rhino 6000 can print these type of labels, allowing you to change the label type at the touch of a button. They also come with a variety of industrial symbols, including popular electrical symbols, and the kit case version come with Li-Ion rechargable batteries.

Conclusion
Flag labels look a bit messy in my opinion, and waste quite a lot of tape as it has to be twice the length of the printed text. A cleaner solution are the wraps - use vertical where you have narrow label requirements, or horizontal where you need room for more text.

For maximum protection use self laminating or heat shrink tubing. But remember the heat shrink is only suitable for unterminated cables.

*Note: the 5200 is not suitable for printing the self laminating labels as they can't print on the 24mm labels.

Keep an eye out for my next installment - How to label a Consumer Unit - coming to a forum near you soon... :D

Last edited:

Reply to How to best label cables in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net