Discuss How to delay the power reaching a electronic item in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Peter Roche

I would like to delay the power to reach a electrical device after turning on the socket.

USAGE: I would like to have lights along my garden, my garden is long and narrow. I would like the first set of lights to turn on straight away, then a delay to the second set and a further delay to the final set. To create an effect of lights turning on as your walking up the garden.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could achieve this and recommendations on what I could buy.

I would like to delay the power to reach a electrical device after turning on the socket.

USAGE: I would like to have lights along my garden, my garden is long and narrow. I would like the first set of lights to turn on straight away, then a delay to the second set and a further delay to the final set. To create an effect of lights turning on as your walking up the garden.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could achieve this and recommendations on what I could buy.
Time delay relays or PIR sensors at appropriate intervals.

timers.

edit: just seen last post. external IP rated PIRs would be the better option.

As above.
A PIR switching one or more time delay relays. The PIR can switch the first row of lights direct and energise the time delay relay to bring on further rows after a preset time.

Thank you very much for each of your assistance, does anyone have any recommended products?

Thanks
Peter

You could build a simple cascade timer using a few 555 timers and some output relays if you're handy with a soldering iron. You can also make a cascade timer using multiple 11-pin delay-on timers but depending how many delay stages you need it can start working out a bit expensive.

you can use a 4017 counter ic, will give you 10 individual timed outputs

What make and model of light are you thinking of using in your garden. This will give us a better idea of what products to advise you of.

What happens when you walk down the other way though?... this is why PIR's with masked sensors seem the better option to me.. as a DIYer the OP may find it a little complex to have a Bi-directional system when he only needs to do a simple PIR arrangement.

If your using LED lamps in your fitting and you use PIR sensors you need to ensure your sensors have standard relays switching and not solid state relay switching or you may get annoying lamp flicker when off that will damage the lamp life.

USAGE: I would like to have lights along my garden, my garden is long and narrow. I would like the first set of lights to turn on straight away, then a delay to the second set and a further delay to the final set. To create an effect of lights turning on as your walking up the garden..

Just so that I can get my head round what you actually want. From your first post am I correct in the below:
You want to have 3 sets of lights, using a similar light to your post #11. How many lights will be in a set?
Each set will turn on and stay on when you turn the light switch on, with a time delay between each set.

Or do you just want them to turn on when you walk past them and then turn off after a certain amount of time if they detect no movement?

If the latter then why don't you use a similar light you posted but with a PIR attached.

could be done with arduino microcontroller and a set of relays. will need a competent person to wire it up especially if lights are mains powered.

Reply to How to delay the power reaching a electronic item in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net