Search the forum,

Discuss How to get into electrical industry in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi I'm not sure where to reply on here ...Well Wombwell is in South Yorkshire about 10 miles away from Barnsley ...

Do as you did in post 18 if you wish to reply to a specific member just do the reply with quote option, no need to repeat it as a seperate post.

What qualifications do you hold if any?
You hint you are not from the UK, where are you from and do you hold relevent qualifications there?

Unfortunately having a little experience and interest are just the starters to getting into any part of the industry although you could apply for a basic skill level job like vending service and repair where you are normally trained in the job but this won't be of any benefit if your looking to get into industrial and machine service and repair, you would need to do a few core qualifications to go that route and this could see you taking courses for several years with an apprenticeship before you would be classed as competent then I would suggest a further 5 - 10yrs experience if you wish to go alone.

You will need to learn several BS regulations covering Electrical installation (BS7671) to Machinery control standards (BS60204) and others depending on which particular field you wish to work in, if you wish to alter or design any control system then you will need to learn how to do risk assessments, design safety critical systems, implementing them into new and existing controls. Looking from the outside in it does look a very ineresting and appealing career but its a very steep hill to climb to be competent, its not just about replacing blown fuses, burnt out contactors etc... you need to be able to read the circuits, understand them and know why equipment has failed and what if any measures to take to avoid a repeat of the failure.

If you are still set on going into this career and you have the dedication, patience and can find suitable courses tied into apprenticeships then go for it and I wish you well, if all you want to do is replace damaged plug tops and cables etc then there are simpler routes but you will never really earn a good salary nor have a recognised title in the industry backed by core qualifications.

The younger you are the better due to the time it may take to get any level of competence, also existing qualifications in related industries would be a added bonus and may head you in certain directions so you could benefit from what you are already trained in.

Without the Diploma's etc then you won't really be anything more than a Engineers/Electricians mate.

Try Monster.com. Put together a good CV and update it weekly. Is there a reason why you live here? Can you move down south where there will be more opportunities for you?

I know Wombwell very well. My parents lived on Hough Lane many years ago. Daz

Try Monster.com. Put together a good CV and update it weekly. Is there a reason why you live here? Can you move down south where there will be more opportunities for you?

Seriously? Bit extreme that! I don't want to start a north/south divide, but we're much friendlier up here anyway! :) Daz

Reply to How to get into electrical industry in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back