Discuss How would you code these 3? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

overskilled

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
1. Sockets on skirting board, some the bottom of is level with floor - I'm thinking C3....however several of the sockets are incredibly difficult to pull plugs out of...and I don't see anyway in heck someone could easily disconnect something in an emergency...thoughts?

2. Downstairs WC - Light switch right beside the wash hand basin, well with wet hands reach and just a standard plain wall plate, no IP rating....I'm thinking C2 due to the potential for shock, though could see C3 also.

3. Spur from a Spur in a commercial kitchen - going with C1 due to the real and present danger of cable overload, disconnected the spur and quoted to extend the ring to resolve the issue.

Thoughts? Comments? Mickey-Taking?

1. C3 close proximity to combustible material (carpet) and possible damage to flexes of appliances. The sockets are defective in any case.
2. C2
3. C2, there is a risk of overload, but the cable will withstand it for a while, C1 is only for danger present, exposed live parts etc.

These are only my opinions and unlike yourself i haven't seen the scenario that you have. So you could be right and i could be wrong!

Cheers…………Howard

Last edited by a moderator:
2. No code. There are no 'zones' for a wash basin. After all, if the switch was just outside, someone could fail to dry their hands and use the switch anyway.

Unless there's no towel available, then maybe a comment 'towel rail required'? :wink:

I'll raise you 512.2.1 and 512.2.2 as a counterpoint

I think it depends on what "Light switch right beside the wash hand basin" actually means. If there's a reasonable risk of splashing, i.e. switch within a few inches of the basin, then I'd agree, not suitable. If it's just a wet hands issue, then I'm sticking with no code. After all, we don't ban ordinary plate switches from kitchens in case someone operates the switch with wet hands.

I'm not aware of any electric shock incident due to wet hands, plus, unlike a bathroom or shower room, you're unlikely to be covered in water and standing in bare feet.

I think we may be getting carried away with this. The OP has stated C2, and we have differing opinions about it, but he is the one with the benefit of having been there seen it and got the T shirt, so if he is happy with a C2 then that is up to him.

Regarding no zones for sinks/washbasins, there isn't, but if it is in a bathroom, we do have rooms containing a bath or a shower, and if it does then it has.

Cheers………………Howard

I think we may be getting carried away with this. The OP has stated C2, and we have differing opinions about it, but he is the one with the benefit of having been there seen it and got the T shirt, so if he is happy with a C2 then that is up to him.

Regarding no zones for sinks/washbasins, there isn't, but if it is in a bathroom, we do have rooms containing a bath or a shower, and if it does then it has.

Cheers………………Howard

I don't think that anyone's getting carried away. Seems to me that this is one of the more civilised threads on the forum.

The OP asked for opinions. He also stated that the wash hand basin was in a downstairs WC, by which I took to mean not a bath or shower room.

Without photos, I think we're doing the best we can.

Reply to How would you code these 3? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net